Wireless or atleast COOL speakers for iMac

Reaction score
I want to run speakers from my new iMac to my kitchen and balcony, I would like to do this wireless. Do wireless speakers exist? It seems they would by now. Ok so, if there are no wireless speakers set-ups then what is a good speaker set-up (I'll hide the wires) I have no idea what or how to hook up speakers to this thing, I just got it about 5 weeks ago, and honestly haven't even looked at the back since I plugged in the keyboard and mouse.
i guess there's an open spot??? any suggestions?

Reaction score
you best bet it probably going to be using the audio out on your computer to a stereo/home theater receiver then running speakers off that through out the house. Most PC speaker systems are connected via RCA's and extending those is just a PITA.

Reaction score
no, most pc speakers that you would buy, are connected to the main hub/subwoofer via a single RCA cable. Like this.

36-121-012-13.jpg

then from the subwoofer to the computer are usually 1/8" jacks. Atleast with all the ones i have ran across.

You could buy a PC speaker kit, then just get a 1/8" jack extension and run it anywhere youd like, for pretty cheap. But i guess it all really depends on how bad you want wireless and your budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Alm 2.4Ghz iMac 750Gb HD 4Gb Ram
Maybe AirTunes would help your setup?

If you aren't plugging the Mac into a stereo (or using AirTunes to send music to a stereo), then you will need to use powered speakers (w/ a little amp built in). Powered speakers require an electrical outlet (to power the little amp) and you will be limited by the length of cable that attaches 1) Mac to the speaker/amp and 2) the speaker/amp to the other speaker. You probably won't be able to run long speaker cable runs out of the Mac without it sounding terrible. I tried some that were about 25 feet long from my iMac to my m-Audio StudioPro 3 speakers and it sounded really bad. 6' is probably the max you will find works when plugging in powered speakers to the back of the Mac, IMHO.

I really like the m-Audio speakers - though it doesn't sound like they would be good for your setup. I would recommend buying a decent book-shelf stereo (if you don't have a stereo system already) and look into AirTunes to deliver the signal from the Mac to it. I have never used AirTunes, so I don't know how they actually sound, but it was something I was considering.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
so greyspot, you didn't say "most pc speaker systems are connected via RCA's [sic]".

we're not talking connecting the speakers to one another. we're talking connecting the speakers to the computer.

the search and link i provided turned up lots of possibilities connected via 1/8" jack. so check them out turboMAC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger
I think AirTunes is a safe bet. AirTunes allows you to stream music from iTunes to an Airport Express.

You can then do one of two things:

1) Connect a pair of powered speakers to the AirTunes. Powered speakers are like those many different kinds of "computer speakers" you can purchase at Best Buy or the Apple Store, etc.

I plan to buy a pair of AudioEngine A2 speakers for my iMac. They are very highly regarded, very powerful for the size, and look fabulous. But they are also a bit pricey.

2) Connect the Airport Express to a home audio receiver. For this purpose you will need a 1/8" to RCA cable which you can find at Radio Shack or Best Buy.

Your other option is to actually purchase wireless speakers, of which there are several different kinds as pointed out in a previous post. I think wireless speakers have a price premium for the technology involved, whereas investing in an Airport Express allows you more choice in the quality of speakers you use and allows you an easy upgrade path if you find you need more power, etc.

--Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.