Apple's Hypercard -- Exporting data -- Possible?

Reaction score
I may be the last user of Hypercard in the entire world. This was something that was in the first Mac I ever bought around 20 years ago (a little thing with an integrated 9" b/w screen - I think it was OS 5 or 6). Over the years, I've just transferred the program to each new Mac. Eventually an OS will come along that will refuse to have any part of this ancient program. But most unfortunately, I've found absolutely no way to export the data to another program. I would be hugely (massively!) grateful if anyone out there can tell me how to capture the data for transferral to another contact program. The only Hypercard component I use is the name/company/address/telephone card where you can add indefinitely to the notes page.
Thank you,
Doris Meadows

Reaction score
I ran a Google search for
"os x" hypercard
and found something called Revolution that will import the text. There were many other hits, as well.

So I ran a search for "os x" hypercard revolution. Revolution, or something from the first search you could try, might be the solution. One of the hits in the above link is to a Wikipedia article on Revolution.

OP
D
Reaction score
Brown Study --- You are my new favorite person. I also did a Google search but obviously didn't input the appropriate words because Revolution never came up. I've just downloaded it. Must go out now but will attempt the translation later today. I'm very excited. Also am most interested to see so many others in this forum who still use old products for Mac. I use MS Word for most everything but still have all of my press lists (I'm a publicist) in Appleworks 6. I know how to create and use these data bases and haven't wanted to translate and learn a new program. But obviously I'll eventually have to.
I am most indebted to you and am very excited about the prospect of exporting my 1000 or more Hypercard entries into a new program.

Reaction score
I use MS Word for most everything but still have all of my press lists (I'm a publicist) in Appleworks 6.
Appleworks 6 runs under OS X, I think. I'm running some version or other on my G4 with Tiger (but maybe Leopard won't run it) and on a partition running OS 9. But I can't access my G4 to check the version number.

If Leopard runs Appleworks, you could transfer the application, the dictionary, the hyphen dictionary and whatever else (including the documents) over to the OS X machine. If you still have it, the install disk might even run. Appleworks might run without skipping a beat.

Click here. I haven't read any of the hits.

OP
D
Reaction score
No problem using Appleworks 6 with OS X.......I'm just anticipating future incompatabilities.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.