Can I run VS.NET or other compiler like C++ natively in a Mac,using Win, of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still don't have a Mac :(. I really want one
Hi, everyone. For a while (perhaps 3 years or more), I've wanted to buy a Mac. Now I have the money and everything, but the problem is a different one; I'm starting to study Computer Science, and, as you guys know, you will get to program in a windows environment once in a while. I'd really like to learn programming on the Mac, but, as mentioned before, I will have to program in Windows.
- SO DO YOU GUYS THINK IT IS WORTH TO BUY A MAC?
- CAN I RUN AND USE COMPILERS (OR INTERPRETED LANGUAGES) SMOOTHLY (I mean with no failures), SUCH AS VS .NET OR C++ OR JAVA?
- And finally, does Windows runs natively on Boot Camp?

I would be so glad if you, guys, help me take a decision helping me answer these questions. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
1) Of course it is! Leopard is awesome. Totally rocks Vista's world. Unless of course you will be using Windows via Bootcamp A LOT. Cause if you aren't using Mac OS X, then I'm not sure if it's the best choice you are making.

2)If you run Windows via Bootcamp (which will run it natively, full speed), then it is pretty much the same ol' windows that you get on the PC. So you can run your compilers, games, Solitaire, pretty much everything.

Now if you want to run those compilers virtually via Parallels or something, then I will step aside and wait for someone more experienced to say something on that.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, thanks. Mac OS X rocks!!! I will have to use windows just because I'll be obliged to use it, because of the school. Otherwise, I wouldn't even take a look at it. For example, now I'm using Ubuntu because I'm trying to step aside from Windows. I just had enough. :Angry: And of course I'll use Leopard for all my tasks, except when I have to write code on Windows.

So it seems that I will be saving money to buy my iMac.

NOTE: If someone else knows something else, I'll appreciate your help so much.

Reaction score
1) Definitely worth it. I'm sure you know most of the reasons.
2) Well depends what you're programming...

For Microsoft languages .NET or Visual Basic or something like that, you're going to need to use either BootCamp or Fusion/Parallels to run Windows and use a Windows compiler. If you use BootCamp, you're running Windows completely natively. If you use Fusion (> Parallels, IMO), you're running Windows virtually and it's just like any other application on OS X, which is great if you want to switch back and forth quickly without rebooting. For programming, Fusion will run Windows just fine, but use BootCamp is you want to play 3D games; BootCamp is also free with Leopard.

But languages like C++ and Java? Use OS X man! The developer tools that the OS X creators used to program applications like Safari, GarageBand, iWorks, etc., are all included with your installation discs (though not part of the default install) for free! Just find it on your install discs, and use XCode. If you want to program in C, C++, Java, Python, Perl, etc., you can do that within OS X natively with XCode. Of course, if you want to compile your code for Windows, you'll have to transfer your files over to your Windows compiler, but I'd prefer doing that to coding in a Windows IDE.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But languages like C++ and Java? Use OS X man! The developer tools that the OS X creators used to program applications like Safari, GarageBand, iWorks, etc., are all included with your installation discs (though not part of the default install) for free! Just find it on your install discs, and use XCode. If you want to program in C, C++, Java, Python, Perl, etc., you can do that within OS X natively with XCode. Of course, if you want to compile your code for Windows, you'll have to transfer your files over to your Windows compiler, but I'd prefer doing that to coding in a Windows IDE.

I'll do it. I'll buy a Mac as soon as I get the money or the credit. And it's true what you say; If I get assignments of C++ or Java, I can make them on Mac OS X. I've been investigating a lot about this issue. So thank you guys for your help. I really appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.