G4 Hard disc swap

Reaction score
Hi. Am about to buy another G4 but with 1.5ghz processor. I currently have 733. The question I have is the new system already has a couple of HD units in it.... If I take my HD and replace the new HD with it as the Master HD, will I be able to power it up with my username and pass word.... and will all my programmes, files etc be on it. I really don't want to have to reinstal all my programmes etc.

It sounds simple, but I'm sure there will be a problem with this idea. Ithen intend putting the other drive into my older Mac and selling it.

Any ideas gratefully received.

O:) Reaperman

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It might work IMO

It certainly wont harm anything by putting it in the new mac and booting it up

Otherwise you can do a nice clean install on the new G4 and use migration assistant to move all your files and apps from your old mac

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/migration.html

OP
R
Reaction score
It might work IMO

It certainly wont harm anything by putting it in the new mac and booting it up

Otherwise you can do a nice clean install on the new G4 and use migration assistant to move all your files and apps from your old mac

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/migration.html

louishen, Many thanks. It does sound like its worth a try. I hoped it would save a lot of time and effort, particularly as reinstalling programmes is such a long winded drag.... and I have better things to do with my time than have to reinstal and rebootafter each programme.

That migration programme in the apps folder....do you know if it transfers programmes like CS2, Word and any games etc. If it does and the swap drives doesn't work its a problem solved. I'm suprised no one has swapped drives and can varify it works for the username and password.

Again..... many thanks.... appreciate the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It transfers apps, preferences, mail, bookmarks and files from your home folder - basically all you need, you can customise it to make sure just the stuff you need gets transferred

its in Utilities by the way and you will need a firewire cable

OP
R
Reaction score
It transfers apps, preferences, mail, bookmarks and files from your home folder - basically all you need, you can customise it to make sure just the stuff you need gets transferred

its in Utilities by the way and you will need a firewire cable

Firewire cable isno problem and I looked at your link..... excellent but....Does it also transfer programmes ie third party like CS2 etc and not just the Apple Applications like iDVD etc?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it does (I have done it at work)

OP
R
Reaction score
louishen. Thank you so much. If the hd drive swap doesn't work then I will use that app and do it that way. If the drive swap works it should allow me to use my usermane and password to sign up from that way I won't need to use someone elses or do a complete clean sweep.

Many thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.