Whats the best dvd ripper?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
The best one ive seen (for free, that is) is handbrake, but that is apparently slow. can anyone recommend any other apps for dvd ripping?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
If you want to rip a dvd to your computer, the best is MacTheRipper. But that just basically copies the DVD in the audio_TS and video_TS files.

If you want to process them into something like a .mp4 file, then handbrake is probably the best. There are better programs, but they're not free. They'll all be kind of slow because it just takes time to process them. The only way to speed it up is to get a super-fast computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
yh mac the ripper is good i prefer Handbrake though

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
The thing with handbrake though is that i did about 5/6 dvds, then it just wouldnt do the whole film. It said after like 10seconds that it was done, but the film/file is not there in my movies folder (or anywhere else). This happebed on both my imac and macbook at about the same time(6 DVDs)

What is this????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
The thing with handbrake though is that i did about 5/6 dvds, then it just wouldnt do the whole film. It said after like 10seconds that it was done, but the film/file is not there in my movies folder (or anywhere else). This happebed on both my imac and macbook at about the same time(6 DVDs)

What is this????

maybe check which chapter you're ripping. By default, I think it automatically selects the overall longest, or first longest chapter. Just check that the duration is the same as the movie. Maybe it's grabbing one of the menu chapters somehow?

If it's not that, I'd uninstall or trash everything associated with the app and reinstall. Maybe a file is missing or was moved somehow. If there's anything wrong somewhere, a reinstall should fix it up. Maybe check if there's an updated version at all.

Also, wasn't Handbrake replaced by Mediafork?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can't really go into any detail as this forum abides by US law and discussion of direct circumvention is not allowed here.

edit: deleted

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I deleted it and then reinstalled, it works alright now, but not with the movie i was usin before. mustve been the disc/ movie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" with 3Gb RAM and a 13"Macbook with 4Gb RAM
Yea several times if the disk is scratched...then it presumes the disk to be over and stops there. Happened with me several times on a couple of disks, till the scratches were the only common things i found in them.

Reaction score
I just downloaded Handbrake yesterday and it literally took 10-11 hrs. to rip a 1:13 movie. Is that normal? Also I put the movie into iTunes with no problem but it won't transfer to my iPhone because it says it can't play it. Any ideas?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.