Swapping an 800 mhz processor with a 1 ghz dual processor??

Reaction score
I just bought a G4 parts tower and it has a 1 ghz dual processor. Can that be put into my 800 mhz machine and if so what do I need to do to make it work? I swapped it last night and when I powered it up all I got was the power light coming on and then faded down like it was going to sleep. Fans came on and red led powered up on the motherboard, but nothing else and no boot. Any suggestions on this???

Reaction score
If it physically fit then it should work. You will need to press the PMU button for one second to clear its mind.

Reaction score
Yes, although every blown processor I have run across prevented even the mobo from powering up. Be careful pressing the PMU, it can get fried with too many attempts to reset it. Does the parts machine at least chime?

OP
T
Reaction score
No it doesn't chime. It's stripped down no hard drive no memory sticks. I took the processor out of it and installed it into my 800 mhz tower that works. When I installed the dual 1ghz processor I got the above mentioned problem. When I took it out and reinstalled the single 800 mhz processor it came backup no problem. That led me to believe that I needed some sort of upgrade to my 800 mhz tower or that the dual 1ghz might be corrupt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Take alook at low end mac

the old G4 is running a 133 Mhz system Bus

I think the new dual processor card is expecting a 167 Mhz bus, hence the fact it isn't working (is the donor machine a mirrored door one)

Even if they are both quiksilvers you will need to do some pretty fine soldering on four resistors to get the processor clock and system bus to talk

pmg4f8.jpg

Picture 1.png

OP
T
Reaction score
The donor machine is not a MDD. Its a Power Mac M8493.
I'd like to try soldering if you think that will work, but would it be easier to add my hard drive and memory to the donor tower or is that a conflicting scenario too?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It would definitely be better to put the disk and ram in to the dual (disks are the same as is the PC133 ram)

The soldering is extremely tricky and not guaranteed to work.

You may just end up with a useless dual processor card at the end of it all

OP
T
Reaction score
ok, I added the hard drive and ram to the dual 1 ghz tower. Same thing. I get a lit up power button that goes dim. Fans are on, I hear the hard drive do something and the red led on the motherboard is on, but no actual boot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.