Question on windows programs on Macs

Reaction score
I've heard of programs that enable you to run a Windows-based program on the Mac.
Is this true? There are only like 2 programs that I want that I miss hardcore, and it wouldn't be worth getting VPC and installing Windows XP for 2 tiny programs.

Any ideas?
TIA,
-Kevin

M

m1k

Yeah, Virtual PC does that. You can get it for Windows 98 through Windows XP professional. Problem is that programs only run at about 10% of their usual speed through OS X because there are essentially 2 operating systems. So your G5 2.5GHz would act like an old Pentium 2.

Best bet: use your PC for gaming, and your Mac for everything else. It's what I do. PCs suck, but you can still play games on them.

U

u76200

Mac's problem: lack of business sw

Unfortunately there are loads of programs out there that are PC only. I have a DP1G G4 1GB and a PC laptop and an old desktop, all on a wlan. Unfortunately I still have to use the PC laptop to do most of my work, the Mac is primarily used for surfing and home stuff only (iLife). The laptop gets the work done VPN to the office, Bloomberg, Ecowin, Advent, Samstock - all PC sw. the Mac is nice for some applications, but dedicated business sw support is unfortunately too limited.

m1k said:
Best bet: use your PC for gaming, and your Mac for everything else. It's what I do. PCs suck, but you can still play games on them.

M

m1k

Ahh, that sucks. Well, if the programs don't use a lot of processing speed, get an older version of VPC and your Mac will run them fine. You can pick up Virtual PC 98 at a dirt cheap price, that's probably your best bet.

If the programs you're running are CPU intensive, though, your best bet is to use a Windows PC.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I always point out that the pc itself doesn't really suck, it's the os. If a decent pc runs Linux, all the problems are eliminated. Although with some new ones, but not so bad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.