Best MACPRO configuration for Editing/Graphics?

Reaction score
A question? I am looking to purchase one of these new MACPROS and am primarily looking to use it for graphic creation (Motion) and hardcore editing on FINAL CUT PRO. Running two 23INCH screens.

Regarding the graphics card:
Are 2 Radeon HD 2600 XT's@256MB better than 1 Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512MB? I.E. More graphics cards give better performance when editing or multiple cards are simply used for attaching more displays? (Quadro FX too expensive)

Lastly:
I was told that when buying hard drives for (EDITING (FCP), it is not the capacity that is important but how many drives you have. More drive heads allow for faster rendering/playback. So, one 1TB drive or 4 250GB drives?

Any other SPEC considerations that someone might be able to give me for an EDITING setup?

BTW, I asked the same questions in the apple shop on REGENTS street, London and got like 5 different answers.

Pardon for the lack of TECH ignorance!
Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
You are entering into major machine purchase. I strongly suggest you find a video vendor close to you and seek their advise and buy through them. This will be an expensive setup and you need someone to call if something happens. I also suggest leasing it since it will be a business machine.

To answer some of your questions I would not have proven knowledge of the requirements for your setup. I like two cards and 256 onboard is a minimum and of course 512 will be better. If you are editing video you will need everything you can get, so go big (expensive) but it will be productive.

As for disk - you will want IMO an external Raid 5 setup using 10,000 rpm drives - anything smaller and slower will be one of the chokes you are seeking to avoid. You will not find this kind of box at an normal Apple vendor. Seek professional advice and you will be charged for knowledge but you will get a correctly set up machine.

It sounds like you are in the UK, if you were in Canada, as a reference I would point you to www.vistek.ca. They are one of many high end video suppliers and if you note their site has no Macs. If you need custom they will build custom and that is not something you will pull off a shelf.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.