Panther External CDRW Help Needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Hi Guys / Gals ,

I have just installed Panther on my Rev B . Everything works fine ( It's an amazing OS !! ) .

I only have one problem . When i use iTunes i can't burn to CD . I have an external Iomega CDRW (52x24x52) , i have looked on their site and can't find a driver .

Any ideas / Suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
Paul

A

Animatronica

What model CDRW is this? USB or Firewire? Is it detected at all in Panther?

B

Badger

Hi again Paul,
Congrats on your Panther install. As for your burner, I'm not 100% sure but I believe iTunes ( and other iApps) will not work with many external burners. To quote from an Apple tech note:
"To see if iTunes works with an external drive, choose Preferences from the iTunes menu, then click the CD Burning tab. If your drive is listed, it will work with iTunes."

I know that older iOmega burners came with Toast Lite software. If you need software I would not hesitate to recommend Toast Titanium.
Badger

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
The CDRW is a USB and it came with Hotburn which aparently has no OSX driver .

Panther recognizes there is a CD there but will not burn to it .

Will Toast Titanium work with it or does each CDRW depend on certain software ?

Thanks again for the help Badger

Paul

B

Badger

Toast is almost universal for burners but you should check the Toast support page: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/toast/index.jhtml. It has a FAQ for which drives are supported. If you go for Toast you can buy/download it from the Roxio site. Toast 6 is OS X only; if you want to use Toast in both X and 9 you should look at Toast 5.
Badger

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
I will have to look at the website you suggest .

I will let you know the outcome .

Thanks Badger .

Paul

B

Badger

One thing to clarify, Toast will burn music from iTunes etc but it will not make iTunes able to burn directly to your burner. It's annoying but Toast gives you more flexibility than iTunes.

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
A friend of mine gave me a copy of Toast Lite 5 .
Unfortunately it wont recognize my drive .

Looked on Roxio website but my drive is not listed as compatible with Toast .

Oh well can't complain at least i am running Panther and also have Adobe CS (Fantastic !) .

I guess i will just have to buy a new external CDRW .

Thanks for your help guys / gals

Paul

B

Badger

I don't know if MCE products are available in England but they have produced a line of CD-RW drives that replace the iMac original internal unit. I bought one several years ago for my rev D iMac and it has performed flawlessly. My only complaint is that the plastic facing is rather cheap. You might give it a look at www.mcetech.com.
Badger

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Thanks Badger i will look into that .

Paul

OP
pphking
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
I just looked into Roxios' site again and used a link to go here http://www.charismac.com/ you can download a demo version of DISCRIBE that gives you 5 free burns so you can test it out with your CDRW .

It works perfectly with my Iomega so i will buy that. Problem solved .

Thanks for all the help

Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.