Free mac spyware/virus removal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
This should be in the switchers forums. And what virus' or spyware is it you need to remove? Considering there aren't any for the mac.

Reaction score
Funny seeing this thread. There's an small, independent PC store a couple of blocks away. It has a huge sign I noticed this morning that reads, "Virus, Spyware Removal — Still Free!"

Imagine having to schlep in a desktop to remove a freight car's worth of viruses and spyware. Oh, the humanity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i know someone who does that. anyway, anytime i cruise through the software aisle at target, i cant help but laugh when i see all of the spyware and virus removal programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac5.1 Intel Core 2 Duo
I had a popup ad after installing a gadget

I have always believed my imac impervious to ugly ads jumping up and down, but I got one this morning after installing a google gadget. I finally called mac support and was advised to purchase a Norton spyware removal tool, unless I could find a free downloadable one.

I had used Disk Utility to run a Disk Permission Verify, and saw that "Owner" had been on "0, should be [my ownerid number]. Also, when I looked in web history and through my logs, the information for that exact time period was missing - as if I had never downloaded the gadget, or even been online at that time. It gave me the creeps and now I feel vulnerable. Perhaps I have been a little too comfortable?

When looking around for info regarding the Owner Permission Repair, I found that it is quite a hot topic. I don't know whether the Repair changing incorrect owner back to me meant that the incorrect owner was an attacker, but it seemed odd; in another log somewhere (processes, I think), I saw my username on all processes except one - that one had a username of "nobody."

Incidentally, the Google Gadget was a hotkey to do multiple searches on a phrase; I can't find it listed on Google now, I don't know how I came upon it before...according to my history and finder, it never existed!

I would love to hear if anyone else has had this experience...I sure will feel dumb if I'm the only one!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.