• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

External DVD burner question..

Reaction score
I have an older mac that did not come with a dvd burner..I recently ordered a Liteon external DVD burner,but of course the provided software is not compatible..

What do I need for my mac to recognize and be able to use the external dvd burner? I have tried putting a blank DVD and one movie,but it just comes up as a disk with many files I cannot open..

I am running osx panther..Do I even have IDVD?

Please advise as to what steps are necessary to make this burner work..

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Since you can see files the drive appears to be working properly.

You have Disk Utility. That can burn DVDs.

If you place a movie into the drive, try starting DVD Player if you have it and Open the VIDEO_TS file. There is a preference in the System Preferences pane regarding what to do when inserting CD's and DVD's.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion..I tried it and I don't think I even have DVD player or IDVD installed..When I try to install IDVD or DVD player updates,it tells me I cannot install it on my computer and I cannot find them anywhere in applications..

I m about to give up and just order a new macbook..

My mac is 6 years old..I believe it was called a G4 cube,but it has been so long since I purchased it,I cannot remember exactly..

There is probably a way to make it work,I just don't know it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
What operating system are you running? If you cant get iDVD to work try VLC player. It's free and if it doesn't work then you can always erase it

OP
A
Reaction score
I am using osx panther 10.3..I will try that download thanks for the tip..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.