Help with setting up a website & forum

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this but since I'm a recent switcher...

How do I set up a website with a forum like this one? (Not Mac related, just for friends)

I see hosting by Rackspace at the bottom, do I need to contact them?

Does it cost money? If so is there a way to do it free?

Reaction score
It depends what software you want to use, there are free solutions such as phpbb3, smf which seem to be the most popular ones. This forum uses Vbulletin which costs $160 for an owned licence, it's well worth the money though if you ask me. If your host uses cpanel, it may offer fantastico which can automatically install a free forum software for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
1st off you need a host (unless you're going to host the site your self). You do NOT need to go to Rack Space. A Google search will provide you with a massive number of hosting companies, follow your Google search with a trip to one or more review sites as some hosting companies are better than others - I for one recommend that you do NOT go with either Fasthosts or B-one as they both offer terrible customer service! I don't have a company I can recommend at this time.

2nd - look at the type of site you want to create - if it's just for friends then a forum based site might not be the best thing unless you have a MASSIVE list of friends with lots of things to talk about. phpBB is a great piece of software which will allow you to build a good forum. Something else you might want to look at is Xoops. This is a free CMS which will allow you to create more of a 'portal' and has a huge range of modules including a fairly good forum (but not as powerful as phpbb). The software this site is running is the real deal but probably not worth the money if your just running a not for profit site just for your friends (I'm not saying Mac-Forums is a 'for profit' site btw). phpbb is used by some big companies as it is such a powerful piece of software with a great support community and is fairly easy to customise if you are happy to tinker with the php etc.

I recommend you look at this site: http://www.opensourcecms.com/ as it allows you to try many of the free Forums, CMS, wikis, blogging tools without having to install them all etc. They all have links to the site that builds/supports that software - go to the site for the forums or CMS that you're interested in and check the Links section as this will usually include sites that have been built with that software so that you can get an idea of what can be created.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
If it's just for you and some friends, I wouldn't even bother with a domain, etc. ;p

The quickest/easiest option would be something like Invision or Proboards, both are free and hosted, so you just create an account and it's all set up for you.

If you already have your own domain, go with something like phpbb(That's the only one I've actually used personally), it's easy to upload, set up and customise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.