Would you recommend a MacBook for university?

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm looking to buy my first laptop and various people have told me I can't go wrong with a mac, it'd be a big help though if someone could answer one or all of these questions? As I still have a few doubts in my mind,

Windows, does it cost much to run windows on a Mac? As I understand I'm going to need microsoft word at least if I want to do any word processing on a macbook.

I'm assuming I'll have no problems connecting to the campus wireless internet?

Do you think that it's a good idea to get a macbook or should I just save myself the hassle and accept that PCs are better for university work?

Helpful responses much appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1) You need a full copy of Windows XP/Vista if you wish to run it on a Mac. However, you don't need Windows to run Word as there is a version of Office for Mac which is fully compatible with the Windows version. In fact, the latest Office 2008 just came out a few days ago and costs somewhere around $129 for the student version, much cheaper than buying a copy of Windows, not to mention a lot more hassle free.

2) Macs use the same wireless technologies that Windows computers do, so you should be able to connect just fine.

3) I personally use a Mac at college and it's been great. The Sleep function alone makes it more worthwhile than a Windows laptop. I just close the lid, throw the laptop in my bag, and head out to my next class. I don't have to worry about it not coming back from standby like I would with Windows. Not having to shut down and startup your laptop saves a lot of time. Not having to worry about viruses and spyware is also a great time saver.

Unless you have a specific need for Windows, get a Mac. You'll get a lot more work done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
Office is available for mac, and any windows can be installed using boot camp

should be no wifi problems, Ive never had any

Wwhy not get Macbook Air???

But the macbook will be good for uni

OP
M
Reaction score
The office for mac simplifies matters a lot, thanks, as long as I'm not missing out on anything by getting the student version, thanks for your help.

(I'm not getting a macbook air because it's not really within my budget)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You definitely don't want a Macbook Air for university work. You'll just be too frustrated by its lack of features.

The student edition comes with Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Entourage (sort of like Outlook). If that doesn't cover all of your needs as a student, then you could always go for the Standard or Special Media editions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
What else do you get with standard edition, from what it says on the apple site theres next to no difference.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok one last thing if you don't mind, as far as running windows on it is concerned, would I definitely need to buy a whole new copy of windows if I wanted to do that?

Reaction score
With Office 2008 i got Excel, Word, Power Point and Entourage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the breakdown of features between the three versions:

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac Editions

You need a full copy of Windows to install via Boot Camp or Parallels/VMWare. It doesn't matter if it's retail or OEM, just as long as it's the full and not upgrade version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Core 2 Duo MacBook (home); Core Solo mini (work)
The one thing to watch out for is if you plan to use Entourage 2008 with an Exchange server. The less expensive Home and Student Edition does include Entourage, but this version does not support Exchange functionality (you will have to run as an IMAP client). For Entourage to work properly with Exchange, you will need the considerably more expensive Standard or Special Editions.

Exchange may not be the norm in most schools, but something to be aware of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
Get a Macbook Pro because you may want the extra graphics for other things and technically its thinner than the Macbook.

Office for Mac I think is better than the Windows verison cause of multitasking. Except I hate 2004's Excel it was like crap to me. Dont ask why.

Sleep Mode is also very handy for going to class to class.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Ok one last thing if you don't mind, as far as running windows on it is concerned, would I definitely need to buy a whole new copy of windows if I wanted to do that?

yep, I'd recommend XP, (you need the full version, not the upgrade) and it's can be had for about $100 for a full copy on newegg.com (it'll be about $200 in most retail stores).

and just get a macbook. you don't need the air or the pro. the air would be a PITA for a college student, and the pro wouldn't be necessary unless you're doing heavy graphics, which the vast majority of college students don't.

Reaction score
the macbook would be just fine, the only reason i went for a pro over the reg mb is cuz i wanted the 15" screen, 13" is too small for me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The Macbook is plenty, unless you're going to study graphical design or something that would require a lot of graphics power.

Don't worry about screen size: You can always get a cheap 20" monitor to use at home and in classes you probably won't need tons of space.

Check with your university to see if you can purchase software cheaply through their academic store. We can actually get Windows free through my university...

Reaction score
Windows, does it cost much to run windows on a Mac? As I understand I'm going to need microsoft word at least if I want to do any word processing on a macbook.
You can just buy MS Office 2004 or MS Office 2008 for mac (which just came out...and you can also use BootCamp or Parallels to run windows on your mac...however, you do need to purchase a copy of Windows (Vista or XP) and also MS Office.

I'm assuming I'll have no problems connecting to the campus wireless internet?
You should not have problems connecting anywhere. Mac's wireless is great and simple to use.

Do you think that it's a good idea to get a macbook or should I just save myself the hassle and accept that PCs are better for university work?
I love macs and have used it all through college (I just graduated) and you will notice that many other students are using macs now-a-days too. At least I have noticed it much more in the past year.

Good luck with whatever you choose...

Reaction score
If you dont have a windows copy already...yes, you will need to buy a new copy of windows to use it on your new mac.

Your school should have student discounts on computers (including apple) and software (ms windows, ms office, etc)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And also, check with your university book store. Some have special reduced price software available. The one my wife works at has Office 2007 for $20 available to it's students and staff. (Just havn't checked the Mac version pricing.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
I would definitely recommend a MB - it will do all you want and more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
I didn't thoroughly read through everyone's replies, but here are my thoughts on some of the stuff you asked/mentioned:

RE: Mac or PC laptop for Univ.
-----------------------------
I've only switched to MacBooks recently and let me tell you -- I regret not making the switch sooner. The interface is quite different from what you're probably used to on Windows, but you'll adapt in no time. Also, your wireless will work fine -- it doesn't matter if it's Mac wireless or PC wireless, 802.11 is 802.11 :D

What are you taking in university? If you're taking something computer related (i.e. computer science), the MacBook would be awesome as it was built on a Unix platform and you have the terminal and XCode utilities all built in.

RE: Windows on Bootcamp
--------------------------
3 main things to pay attention here -- 1) your copy of XP must come with SP2 installed, 2) it can't be a multi-disc install or upgrade (so no MC editions), and 3) it must be legit

RE: Office for Mac
------------------
I personally use iWork, but I've heard great things about Office 2k8 for Mac so I would definitely say go for that if you're doing a lot of work processing

RE: which version of MacBook to buy
------------------------------------
I wouldn't recommend MB Air. It's eye candy, but you're not gonna get the best performance/value for your money. If you're pursuing something that's heavy in the graphics design department, I'd go MB Pro. A good, well-rounded, and economical choice would be IMHO the regular MacBooks.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

T

todd51

There were only 2 times where I absolutely needed a PC. I had a computer concepts class that we took tests on this type of software that was only able to install on a PC. I also had an online math class where once again, the software was only able to be installed on a PC. It was a big pain, but luckily I just brought my desktop PC up from home for those semesters.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.