Disk Permissions - HFS Volume Needs Repair.

Reaction score
I am trying to partition my computer so I can add XP and play on the poker sites that don't support mac. I had vista before, but the trial period expired so i deleted it. I am getting this message below. I don't know what to do. I tried to repair the disk permissions, but it seems to not do anything.

Please help... :)

Disk Utility stopped verifying “Mac” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit
1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Repairing permissions for “Mac”
Determining correct file permissions.

Permissions repair complete

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
Verifying volume “Mac”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Invalid directory item count
(It should be 35 instead of 34)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Mac needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

Disk Utility stopped verifying “Mac” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit
1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Repairing permissions for “Mac”
Determining correct file permissions.

Permissions repair complete

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Did you try repairing the Mac disk? That is, boot from the OS X DVD, open up Disk Utility from the Utilities menu and then use the disk repair option...

OP
I
Reaction score
Is there any way i can do this without the disks? Can I take it to the shop? How much do you think that would cost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
I am guessing that most Mac shops are like the one I went to in Thailand when my MB was very sick (they were charging a set fee of X amount - I didn't use the service and did it myself as I thought the guy was a bit of a prat, which is why I can't remember the price he quoted me).

Sorry I can't be more helpful but someone who can help will be along in about 10 minutes :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
If you can find someone with another mac, you could connect yours via Firewire cable and do the same repair thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You cannot do it yourself without using the install DVD as you have to be booted from there to run 'Repair Disk' in Disk Utilities, not from the startup volume. If you don't have the disk, how did you get the OS onto your computer?

I suggest looking at ebay or a second hand Mac dealer for a set of the install discs.

Reaction score
Need help With Volume

I have a Mac G3 that had a bad HD so a put a good PC HD that is the same but It will not work, theres no voulme when I go to install MAC OS 9.1 .

I can't even reformatt :(

Plese help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop 9.1 into the CD slot, boot holding down "C". If you get the Installer page, go to Utilities > Disk Utility > Format Hard Drive with OS 9 Drivers. Your problem is the drive is still set up for FAT 32 or another Windows format and has to be initialized.

Reaction score
Now I need Help With after Install

after I install Mac OS 9.1 then I go to Start up disk and click on HD that I made then restart.

The Problem is that It boots from the Disk and it's at the start up CD screen again like I left it before. sometimes it forget then i have to install OS 9.1 agian.

ANY ONE KNOWS HOW TO FIX THIS???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.