Dropped MBP and now Superdrive Noisy

Reaction score
I dropped my MBP today (while it was closed onto carpet) and now the Superdrive is making strange noises whenever it wakes up from sleep. It sounds almost like it normally does except that the drive does it three times in a row and much louder. I tried resetting everthing (PRAM, etc...) but it is still noisy. Is the drive screwed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
Pop in a CD/DVD. Does it still work? If so, then try to burn something. Does that work? If so, then other than some extra noise, other stuff *should* be ok. Good luck!

OP
P
Reaction score
Bad news. The drive won't even accept any CDs....period. It feels like the motor that "eats" CDs so to speak is jammed. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
COrrect me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Apple Care covers for these type of accidents (i.e. dropping the MBP). If that is indeed the case then you're either gonna have pay out of your own pocket to get it replaced, or get a external drive. :|

OP
P
Reaction score
COrrect me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe Apple Care covers for these type of accidents (i.e. dropping the MBP). If that is indeed the case then you're either gonna have pay out of your own pocket to get it replaced, or get a external drive. :|

That's what I was afraid of. The MBP is out of warranty anyway so I would have had to pay. Anyone know where to get a new Superdrive? Or an upgraded one even?

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
i can't say i've researched it, but i don't see why the new external superdrive that apple made for the macbook air wouldn't work for you.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm still thinking about removing the current drive, however. The big problem right now is trying to wake the computer up from sleep in a quiet place like the library or in the middle of class when I've arrived late. I've received quite a few stares from the noisy grinding sounds from the Superdrive. Is it possible to remove it and just run the computer without it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.