Making Quick Look the default viewer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook | Core2Duo 2.2GHz | 4GB RAM | 120GB HDD | OS X 10.6.2
Hi,

Is it possible to set Quick Look as the default viewer for pictures? I know you can hit spacebar to open it with Quick Look, but my first reaction is always to double-click.

i.e. I'm a avid Manga reader and I download new chapters of certain series that I follow. They come in as about a dozen .jpg/.png, and in a folder. In Windows, I can double-click on the first one and then use the arrow keys to move to the next picture (Windows Picture & Fax Viewer). That's what Quick Look allows me to do and I love it like that, but I always end up double-clicking one picture and Preview opens it and I can't use the arrow keys to move to the next one -_-

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you could always download Xee. it offers the same "back/next" as the windows viewer. (only it uses the < > keys rather than the arrow keys).

plus, Xee is a great free program.

then just make that the default viewer for your image files.

OP
2Hit6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!

I will definitely give that a try, but if possible I'd like to have Quick Look as the default (the look and feel of it just appeals to me -- plus it as the "Add to iPhoto" option which I like)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i don't have leopard yet, but can't you just choose it like any other app?

do get info on any jpg/gif/etc, then find the opens with section and change the app to quick look (and select the option to open all files of that type).

i'd be more specific, but i'm at work on XP.

OP
2Hit6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using Xee now and it's pretty good. I customized the keyboard shortcuts under Xee->Preferences to my liking.

Anyhow, Quick Look isn't in the Applications folder and the QuickLook files under /Library/QuickLook/ aren't executable as an app.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ahh... that's too bad.

glad you like xee though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
screen and tablet
You don't have to set Quick Look as default in order to enter it, just hit space bar instead of double click :)

Reaction score
I couldn't make this happen with .doc files.
I did get quicklook.app to be the default for opening a file, but when opened, quicklook didn't actually launch/display the file.

FYI, this is where the app is: /System/Library/Frameworks/QuickLook.framework/Resources/quicklookd.app

no success with quicklookd32.app either.

I guess this could be accomplished with AppleScript...

On a related note:
What I have been successful making work is getting quicklook to launch from the command line (in terminal):

I have an executable (via chmod +x ql) file in my path called ql that's a text file containing this shell script:
#!/bin/bash
#QuickLook Launcher by M Elvey. Jan 2010.
qlmanage -p "$@" >& /dev/null &​
So now,
ql foo.jpg​
and
ql bar.doc​

work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You don't have to set Quick Look as default in order to enter it, just hit space bar instead of double click :)

You missed something, I think:

Hi,

I know you can hit spacebar to open it with Quick Look, but my first reaction is always to double-click.

I think Apple should add the slide show feature to Preview. In the meantime though, "retraining" is your best option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.