RAM Upgrading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
Alright, so my local store has a sale for the RAM for my iMac at £34 for a 2GB RAM. I've got 3GB at the moment, would it be worth it for me to go up to the 4GB? I do audio recording and editing, movie recording and editing, and also want to get a game or two. The CPU is a 2.4GHz. I also do a lot of apps at once, I've always got 5 running (Adium, iChat, iTunes, Mail, and Safari). Even while I'm doing my audio and video work. I will sometime have up to like 10 or so apps running at once. So, should I up my RAM to 4GB?
Thanks in advance for the advice/help.

Reaction score
for $35 i dont see why not. I just upgraded from 1gb to 2gb and i noticed a difference. id imagine since the 4gb would be a matched pair, it would be worth it.

OP
saxnbass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's £34, not $35, but yeah. Does being a matched pair make any difference anyways?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory
for $35 i dont see why not. I just upgraded from 1gb to 2gb and i noticed a difference. id imagine since the 4gb would be a matched pair, it would be worth it.

thats about $67 actually at todays exchange rate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
During your usual routine of audio recording and editing, open up a program called Activity Monitor (located in your Utilities folder). Take a look at the amount of RAM being used. If you're not using all 3GB, then you don't need to upgrade.

OP
saxnbass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so the Active is obvious what that is. But what about Wired, Inactive, Free. I guess I should just look at how much is being Used?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.