Double Routers & Port Forwarding

Reaction score
Hi fellas,

This is my present network scenario,

ADSLModem/Router Combo -> 4 Port Switch -> 1 Computer(running bittorrent client)

* My ISP provided this equipment which is a Modem & router combined in one.

* This Modem/Router combo has only DMZ feature and no Port forward / virtual servers feature.

* I enable DMZ to the computer runnin the torrent client on port 5050

Now am gonna get a macbook and a 802.11 N router(it has port forwarding) for wireless access, and i want to keep the network configuration as follows

ADSLModem/Router Combo -> New router -> Old comp with bittorrent client + new macbook with another bittorrent client

* Now I want to enable ports to both the computers separately

I would consider doing this,

1)attach the cable from the Modem/Router to the WAN port of the new router.

2)Make the new router obtain an static ip address(wan ip of the new router) from the Modem/Router combo. Assign DMZ to the ip address of the new router.

3) Configure the new router to enable ports for the two individual systems connected under it.

And now my question,

Will this work?

Am I logical?

If it doesnt, wat shud i do?

Also, is the D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router compatible with MacBook? Any experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Most ISP provided combination devices can be configured to work in bridged mode. I'd confirm this with your ISP.

Then get whatever router/WAP combo you want and port forward all you want.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Brand/Model is your ISP Provided Modem/Router?

MacsWork is correct, most will work in Bridged mode and solve your issue. I am using a Speed-Stream 5100B in fact in Bridged mode with my Linksys WRT54GL router. Works great.

Reaction score
I am using a D-link DIR-655 and it works fine. Although I am not running in the same config that you are.

OP
H
Reaction score
Re:

I would consider doing that( router 1 in bridged mode and router 2 as gateway). But there are now goin to be additional two computers sitting behind router 1.

Ill make it clear in words(I hope! :D ),

There are three nodes behind Router 1(the ISP Supplied Combo). They are Router 2 & the two computers. Across my home at a different place is the router 2 and behind it are the macbook and another pc.

(Note: Router 1 and router 2 will be at two different physical location in my home and there is only only cat 5 cable connecting them).

So when I put my second router in bridged mode the two computers behind router 1 are left out without internet.

This has prompted me to go in for double nat and to make things work with regard to port forwarding for the two computers.

But then, wat might be the problems I wud face in this configuration?

OP
H
Reaction score
What Brand/Model is your ISP Provided Modem/Router?

MacsWork is correct, most will work in Bridged mode and solve your issue. I am using a Speed-Stream 5100B in fact in Bridged mode with my Linksys WRT54GL router. Works great.

UTStar - UT300R2U

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just put in another switch instead of a second router. You gain nothing by using two routers. If it's WIFI that the second router supplies than just get a WAP to use with the switch.

OP
H
Reaction score
Just put in another switch instead of a second router. You gain nothing by using two routers. If it's WIFI that the second router supplies than just get a WAP to use with the switch.

I need the second router to do the port fowarding for two of my computers cos the first router doesnt have the option to do so. Router 1 has only dmz.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reason I have not gotten back to you on the Bridge Mode is that company has no manual I can grab and so far found nothing but data sheets on it. I will keep looking and get back to you.

I know exactly what you want to do as most Modem/Routers I have worked with are crippled in one way of the other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then bridge router 1 setup router directly behind it and forward. Put a switch by the macs and call it done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
This is all a bit above my head. I currently use all 4 ports on my router. These connect my iMac, 2 PCs and a printer. Routers are presumably limited to 4 for a reason.

The printer can be connected with Wifi if I get a wireless router. Is it possible to connect another device? If so how best can I do that and what is the maximum number of ports?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The router can support several ports. But for the $50 you spend at the Computer Store of your choice you usually get four. Usually routers will have one port (or interface) and have the capabilities to add more interfaces.

To expand the routers connectivity capabilities you need a switch. Switches come in different sizes from 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, 48 and more. They also come in different speeds, like 10/100 and 10/100/1000.

When a router is in bridged mode it is no longer a router. It simply sends all traffic through it in effect performing no routing function.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.