Folders displayed before Files

Reaction score
I'm a recent switcher to the Mac and I'm used to windows displaying all folders before any files when in My Computer.

Is there anyway that the Finder can be set up to always display folders first and then files?

Thanks

Ricky55

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Short of using List View and sorting by size, there really isn't, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Follow the steps below:
1. Go to Finder menu -> Show view options
2. Change arrange by to KIND
3. Click USE AS DEFAULTS at the bottom of the window to apply settings to all folders (it is in leopard; in tiger it is a little different I guess)

See the attached file.

sorting.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Follow the steps below:
1. Go to Finder menu -> Show view options
2. Change arrange by to KIND
3. Click USE AS DEFAULTS at the bottom of the window to apply settings to all folders (it is in leopard; in tiger it is a little different I guess)

That won't put folders first. It will put them after any other file whose "kind" begins with a-e.

OP
Ricky55
Reaction score
That has worked when in the finder but when I open documents in applications they are still all in alphabetical order and folders and files are just mixed.

I thought they'd be a way of doing this, usually with the Mac there is and if there isn't there's normally a third party tool that will do it.

Anyway thanks

Ricky55

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I have recently stumbled upon a how-to on exactly this...
I know there is a way...
I will try to find that page again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.