computer is stuck at darwin Login. Cube G4 Security Login.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2Powerbooks, 4 iMacs, 1 ipad, 2 iphones
Help, A friend & Computer wizard gave us his cube and we are really stuck. We left all his securities and login's as was because he travels for work and he could not remember his passwords he set up on it years ago. The computer is used for the net and word processing only for the kids homework requirements.
My DH ran some auto updates and one was a securities update(We think). notw the computer is at Darwin Login. I have no idea what to do at this level and Our Friend is working in Europe and he hasn't replied to our e-mail.
The only install disk I have are panther.
What should I do.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Two questions: Do you have another system (Apple) and what version of the OS are you tunning on the cube?

OP
tinaloco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ok... the cube 10.4. I think. Yes, We have a ibook 900MHz PowerPC G3 with 640SDRAM, A PowerBook G4 1.5GHz with 512 SDRAM & my wallstreet with system 9. Both Powerbooks are used for business. The only install disk we have are the original Panther(which don't seem to work at all and the Powerbook 10.4 DVD's that don't want to work.(We finally upgraded the G4 at a local shop and their "CD's" worked fine, but the DVD's would not?(Relates to a post you replied to for me the day before yesterday.
Thanks Much!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can try to connect the system that has the darwin display and a target disk using target mode. Connect the two system together with a firewire cable. The system with the darwin screen, boot and press the t key and hold it until you get the firewire logo. Bott the other system, when it comes you you should see the other system mounted on the desktop. Down load what ever version of the combo updater for the system with the darwin screen. Then install it on the mounted disk (from with in the install/update application to the darwin disk to install on). I believe that will get you back up and going again.

OP
tinaloco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay... I don't have $$ to burn right now but maybe the 50 to 70$ is worth it having someone else do it.
I don't think my DH will let be use the business machines, Will my Wallstreet do it?
Thanks,
Tina.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your wallstreet has a firewire port it might work.

OP
tinaloco
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you.
Tina.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.