help instaling java

Reaction score
Hi all. This is my first mac and i am very excited. However i am currently enrolled in a java programing class and i cant seem to install it on my mac.
I got a new macbook pro with leopard OS. Every time i try to install it i am told that i need os 10.4 or later does anyone know where i can get java for leopard or what i am doing wrong?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Java comes pre-installed with OSX

To check what version you have, open a terminal window and enter the following command

Code:
java -version

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, just open the terminal, cd over to your folder and type "javac myapplication.java" and it'll compile your code.

Then type in "java myapplication" to run your app.

Personally I used Textmate for quite a while since it does all that for you with a single click. Now I use Eclipse mostly (a Java IDE).

OP
B
Reaction score
hey guys thanks so much for your help, but this is my first mac so where is this terminal window which im assuming is the same as the comand window on a windows machine. For windows i just go to start, then run, type cmd and click enter. where do i find it here. also where do i find textmate and that other one u where talking about?
Thanks so much:)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Yes terminal is the same as the 'command' window.

just type 'terminal' in to spotlight (the magnifying glass to the right of the top menubar)

Textmate is found with google, but there is a textedit that comes with OSX, but it saves in rtf format so make sure you save as plain text when editing java code

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
To change Folder directory in the terminal, either type "cd" and then the path, or just type "cd" and then drag in the folder that you want to change to.

The terminal will auto-complete the rest of the path for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.