• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple's next notebook move...

Reaction score
Personally, the way hardware upgrades are going I wouldn't be surprised if they started adding the option of adding 120 GB SSDs in the upcoming Macbook refresh/redesign.

Right now they already offer the feature in the Macbook Air so why not increase the size of an SSD and put them in more laptops? I don't know about you but this is the first time I've seen an SSD inside of a notebook and I think it's amazing. Now that the Macbook Air is out and rolling, what will they do next for their laptops?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
A 128 gb SSD drive costs roughly 4,000 dollars.

Reaction score
well the MBA just came out like two days ago so it is really hard to call what is going to be next, expecially with apple products...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Because the 64gb SSD upgrade is something rather new to consumers and is a $1000 charge. Until they start becoming widely available, apple is not going to put a $4000 option in their baseline notebook (if that's the correct price).

You have to understand technology and the market before you can start asking questions like this. Give it a year and a 64GB SSD might end up costing $100-$200 for one on the market (definitely not as an option for a pre-built computer system) because more manufactures will be making them so parts suppliers will become more readily available and competition between them will help to drive down prices as well as cheaper materials.

If you're still asking why Apple hasn't started including blu-ray players in their computers, then it's the same scenario. Blu ray has been out for a whil, but do to an uncertain format war (until now) and the price, they've probably overlooked it (mainly for the format war). Dell offers Blu ray drives in their laptops, but it's nearly $1000 from the last time I checked. I'm pretty sure that until the price comes down and HD DVD is truly dead, that people won't be including a Blu ray drive in their notebooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For Apple's next laptop move? After using an iPhone for a while, I have the obvious answer - give it a touch screen. The iPhone touch interface is SO intuitive to use, I find myself wishing my laptop had a touch screen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Next notebook move: nothing. This is the last notebook they'll make.

I know their next move. Have you seen those heads-up display contact lenses? Add to that a ring on each finger with an accelerometer. Wirelessly connect those to your pocket portable computer and BOOM! You have a an invisible always on computer. The rings on your fingers are so you can type on the virtual keyboard you'll see in front of you projected on your eyes by the contacts ,which also projects the screen with a whole new 3D interface: OS 11!

In Peter Griffin voice: "frikin sweet!"

Reaction score
Newegg has one for only $3300, what a bargain...

lol... :goes to newegg to purchase: ........

not. ill stick with my regular HDD for now, whats the point of solid state? if your really that worried about losing info you could buy three 120 gig HDD's for the price of one SSD and always be backed up, at least twice...

k3s

Reaction score

not. ill stick with my regular HDD for now, whats the point of solid state? if your really that worried about losing info you could buy three 120 gig HDD's for the price of one SSD and always be backed up, at least twice...

It is true, but the fact is a SSD supposedly has faster write speeds and more write cycles. But in the end right at this moment it is impractical to get a SSD for home use unless of course you don't have a budget. Although in the future the price will drop and it will become the standard. I remember back in the day when HD were 400 dollars and huge.

Reaction score
The new trackpad features on the MacBook Air will make their way to all Mac notebooks. I think that's a little bit more reasonable than a $4,000.00 SSD. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I would get your hopes up for the trackpad function to be moved to the other laptops. That's one way Apple is distinguishing the MBA from the others. U don't know if they'll be will to do it as it will make one less reason for people to want the MBA.

I'm afraid people are going to get their hopes up for this, and then be outraged when their predictions doesn't come true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
For Apple's next laptop move? After using an iPhone for a while, I have the obvious answer - give it a touch screen. The iPhone touch interface is SO intuitive to use, I find myself wishing my laptop had a touch screen...

A touchscreen on a laptop might be a good novelty, but I wouldn't use it. Seriously...my screen gets dirty enough with the occasional accidental touch. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Next notebook move: nothing. This is the last notebook they'll make.

I know their next move. Have you seen those heads-up display contact lenses? Add to that a ring on each finger with an accelerometer. Wirelessly connect those to your pocket portable computer and BOOM! You have a an invisible always on computer. The rings on your fingers are so you can type on the virtual keyboard you'll see in front of you projected on your eyes by the contacts ,which also projects the screen with a whole new 3D interface: OS 11!

In Peter Griffin voice: "frikin sweet!"

Take it to the next level! A Core 2 Quad is implanted in your brain and linked directly into your optic nerve. Boom! Instead "heads up" whenever you need it! :-D

Reaction score
It really is obvious though thats apples next move is going to be a touchscreen laptop that doest have a keyboard, but one that pops up on the screen like the ipone/touch. Also the laptop will come with 1000 free itunes downloads and comes at an introcuctory price of 4,799.00. Pretty good deal I would say. ;D

ps... forgot to mention it will come with a 1tb SSD drive, and a 40x DVD burner

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
I would get your hopes up for the trackpad function to be moved to the other laptops. That's one way Apple is distinguishing the MBA from the others. U don't know if they'll be will to do it as it will make one less reason for people to want the MBA.

I'm afraid people are going to get their hopes up for this, and then be outraged when their predictions doesn't come true.

I agree; and it partially arises from the other distinguishing factor (only one USB port). Why, people would have to use a wireless mighty mouse! and the people don't want that. ;), fleurya. Besides, no mouse would fit in your manila envelope. You'd have to carry two envelopes!

It really is obvious though thats apples next move is going to be a touchscreen laptop that doest have a keyboard, but one that pops up on the screen like the ipone/touch. Also the laptop will come with 1000 free itunes downloads and comes at an introcuctory price of 4,799.00. Pretty good deal I would say. ;D

no way. one reason the onscreen keyboard works on the iPhone is the small form factor. you can hold it in two hands and reach with your thumbs. Try holding your MacBook like that. No work-y! You'd have to set it on your lap, and that would be awkward too, for view angle. Stylus tablet, anybody?

...and oh yeah, so the base model is 4,799...high end has no hard drive but includes satellite throughlink communication to Apple servers (the MotherTimeCapsule): unlimited storage and data access for $100/month.

Reaction score
no way. one reason the onscreen keyboard works on the iPhone is the small form factor. you can hold it in two hands and reach with your thumbs. Try holding your MacBook like that. No work-y! You'd have to set it on your lap, and that would be awkward too, for view angle. Stylus tablet, anybody?

That was a joke...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

They were that cheap at that price I just had to get two.....lololol:D

But SSD is obviously the next big thing....now just to work on those prices.

Reaction score
I actually just saw (on an undisclosed website becuase the price is so cheap I want to keep it to myself) 32gb SSD's ON SALE for $2,999 I bought 7... next paycheck I might buy a few more ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I think Apple's next move will be to make their entire lineup alluminum. The Macbooks are showing signs of aging. I'm not sure how they'll go about modifying the mouse and remote, but it's highly possible that they might do something to the remote at at least.

The Macbook/Pro will both get the large multi touch trackpad for sure. It's not USP of the Macbook Air...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.