Rental service a little buggy, in our favor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
FYI: I rented a movie and watched it a while ago. In iTunes it shows that it has 19 hours left. I sent it to my iPhone and when I went to play it on there, it gave me the 24 hour warning and it says I have 24 hours to play it on the iPhone.

So I guess the system isn't perfect. If you rent a movie and don't have time to watch it in the 24 limit, you can "life raft" it over to your ipod to get an extension.

Update: when I moved the movie back to iTunes, iTunes adopted the new time limit from my iPhone. I moved it back to my iPhone yet again to see if it would reset again, but no luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Also if you change the time on your Mac back to say 30 days you have an extra 30 days on top of the rental time

Reaction score
i'm sure a patch will be released soon to take care of this issue...in the meantime, i think i'm going to start downloading...hahaha

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also if you change the time on your Mac back to say 30 days you have an extra 30 days on top of the rental time

Yeah, I found that too. Apple needs to take a page from Microsoft and learn how to overcome that system clock trick.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
^^ Well I hear the same effect is felt if you take your clock ahead :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Yeah, I found that too. Apple needs to take a page from Microsoft and learn how to overcome that system clock trick.

Won't playing with the system time/date play havok with email and time machine? Not to mention calendar alerts?

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ yeah. The trick is, move you clock forward before you download, start the movie to initiate the "doomsday clock", then move the system clock back to where it should be.

It'll probably still mess things up and ,overall, it's a poor method to try to hang onto a rented movie. There are much much simpler ways of obtaining a rented movie indefinitely that I won't mention due to forum rules. I just thought people may want to know about the move to iPod glitch in case they need more than the 24 hour limit to finish up their movie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
I reckon you could keep the rental if you move it out of folder its downloaded to and renamed/re-encoded not sugesting anything mind:):):)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.