Dead pixel / Customer support confusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hello everyone.

Today I noticed what appears to be a dead pixel on my screen. I've tried running all the free "Stuck pixel fixing" programs that I've found on this forum, but none have done anything. (It's a black dot on a white background, that's a dead pixel right?)

I just bought this computer a few months ago.

I live in South Carolina, which means there isn't an Apple Store in the entire state.

I called Apple Customer Support, and the guy told me that because it's been more than 90 days after purchase of my MacBook Pro, I had to pay $49 to use Apple Customer Support.

All I want to do is find out how to fix this thing. I paid a good amount of money for this wonderful machine, I don't want a black speck on it.

Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
I know it sounds strange but try massaging the stuck pixel. Worked for my Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
There's nothing I hate more in the world than stuck pixels....haha. I've had 4 iPhones (each one being replaced for different reasons) and every single one has had at least 1. Seems to be an industry standard for electronics...

OP
Weird Fish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know it sounds strange but try massaging the stuck pixel. Worked for my Macbook
When I think massage, I think oil, towels, and candles.

What do you mean massage it? Just kinda poke it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Rub around over it lightly with a clean finger after cleaning the screen so not to scratch the shiny plastic cover. There really is liquid in your liquid crystal display, a thick gel more realistically, and rubbing over it can cause the liquid to force the tiny crystal back into contact position. Don't press hard because there are also very thin plates of glass sandwiched in there too and you could break them which would total your screen. So perform the massage at your own risk. Hopefully you'll get a happy ending :)

OP
Weird Fish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rub around over it lightly with a clean finger after cleaning the screen so not to scratch the shiny plastic cover. There really is liquid in your liquid crystal display, a thick gel more realistically, and rubbing over it can cause the liquid to force the tiny crystal back into contact position. Don't press hard because there are also very thin plates of glass sandwiched in there too and you could break them which would total your screen. So perform the massage at your own risk. Hopefully you'll get a happy ending :)
That sounds horribly risky... Are you sure?

OP
Weird Fish
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, here's a low-res picture of my problem.

(Right above the cursor)

01-16-08_2038.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Well yeah I guess anytime you press around on your screen its risky. Its also been proven to sometimes repair a dead pixel - from personal experience. But I do not recommend it unless it just really starts to drive you nuts. I can tell you they will not do anything for it. Industry standard calls for a certain percentage to be defined as normal depending on screen size and they will not replace your screen for just a few, let alone just one. Just be light as if you were rubbing off a spot of grease or something and you wont crack it. They are more durable than you would think. Youre not trying to squish it out either, just a casual circular rubbing motion over the pixel will sometimes fix it. Sometimes not too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.