Should i buy a Mac Book Pro now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
I been thinking about buying a MBP for the past 4 months and made my mind 2 months ago im just gonna do it. But i been waiting for the Keynote to come around and all the rumors about the MBP being updated. And since nutting happened yesterday i was wondering, should i just go ahead and buy it now or should i hold off on it till next month? I just hate for something new to come out next month that i could have got for the same price.

Reaction score
i'm in the same boat as you, i've been waitin for ages now, but read this news story:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/16/more-to-come-this-week/

i was aiming for the base model, but i'm hoping a penryn processor refresh will prompt a 2.4GHZ baseline model processor, and maybe a bigger hard disk, who knows! But i'll be a fool to buy one when they're at the end of their product cycle, it just depends how bad you want it, you've waited this long, whats a difference will a month make?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Buy the machine that suits your needs when you need it. I promise that it will continue to suit your needs long after the next revision comes out.

In the land of technology, if you're always waiting for the next big thing, you'll be waiting forever.

OP
CAMERA MAN
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
i'm in the same boat as you, i've been waitin for ages now, but read this news story:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/01/16/more-to-come-this-week/

i was aiming for the base model, but i'm hoping a penryn processor refresh will prompt a 2.4GHZ baseline model processor, and maybe a bigger hard disk, who knows! But i'll be a fool to buy one when they're at the end of their product cycle, it just depends how bad you want it, you've waited this long, whats a difference will a month make?
Wow good stuff thanks and i wish i could go to a final cut meeting, but yea i want the 2.4ghz chip too, i been looking at the 2.2ghz model but if i can just wait and get the updated, maybe even re-designed with 256mb graphics and more hard drive maybe for the same price as the 2.2 model, plus it kinda looks like some pro apps may require a 256mb graphic card . ill wait and in the mean time buy a ps3 ;D

Reaction score
i'd normally agree with cwa107, but sometimes it's not about the technology. It's about getting more for my money, there are rumors all over the place about a possible macbook pro update some day this tuesday, maybe in february. I've been waiting about a year now to get a macbook pro a few more weeks shouldn't make much difference :)

Reaction score
omg.. did i make a mistake buying mine this week? my mbp is currently on its way to me and is due to arrive on wednesday..

if i dont open it do i still have to pay the restocking fee if i send it back?

ugh.. of course right when i buy it

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
omg.. did i make a mistake buying mine this week? my mbp is currently on its way to me and is due to arrive on wednesday..

if i dont open it do i still have to pay the restocking fee if i send it back?

ugh.. of course right when i buy it

It's just a rumor. These sites are wrong far more often than they're right. Is an update coming eventually? Absolutely. The problem is that no one outside of Apple knows for sure, NO ONE... Apple is notorious for hunting down moles and keeping its secrets.

Again, you need to buy the machine that suits your needs when you buy it. It will continue to do so for many years to come.

Man, I'd hate to see what you guys do with cars. You must buy a new one every year. :D

Reaction score
well i dont NEED one until july when i start med school but id LIKE one now because as i mentioned in another thread im a professional poker player between now and july and its a lot nicer ot play relaxed on a laptop then sitting up on a desktop all day.

for my back, getting a laptop now is great.

edit: but youre right i cant worry about this. I am buying this laptop to play poker, and to be my laptop in medical school. it will do its job great. I dont need any more power than im already getting im sure. I wont be gaming on it like the laptop i bought for undergraduate.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i dont NEED one until july when i start med school but id LIKE one now because as i mentioned in another thread im a professional poker player between now and july and its a lot nicer ot play relaxed on a laptop then sitting up on a desktop all day.

for my back, getting a laptop now is great.

Suffice it to say that a MacBook Pro in its current guise should be way overkill for playing online poker. It's a bit like bringing a grenade launcher to a knife fight.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.