Trouble partitioning with boot camp

Reaction score
I'm trying to partition my HD in order to dual boot. Boot camp assistant tells me "the disc cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." It suggests using Disc Utility to format my disc as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. I verified my disc and there is nothing wrong with it (won't even let me click the repair disc button) and it says that it is already journaled.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
If I am not mistaken, you partition from the Mac side remembering it is a Mac not a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Boot Camp assistant is not the Mac OS. Partition the HD (from Disk Utility) before running the assistant is my best guess.

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok. That might be it. However, I just upgraded to leopard and the new boot camp assistant has the ability to partition your hard drive specifically for windows. It's during this process when it gives me the problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Boot Camp assistant is not the Mac OS. Partition the HD (from Disk Utility) before running the assistant is my best guess.
incorrect..
If you have left your partition table alone (have not added/deleted other partitions, etc) all you should have to do is run Boot Camp assistant, and let that partition your hard drive...

However, what you said you did (repair permissions/disk) usally fixes the problem you have.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ok. That might be it. However, I just upgraded to leopard and the new boot camp assistant has the ability to partition your hard drive specifically for windows. It's during this process when it gives me the problems.

Nputer is right, you need to use the Boot Camp Assistant (which does indeed run under OS X). Have you tried the basics, like making sure that all of your programs are shut down (besides BCA) and done a cold restart?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
This problem occurs if the free space on your drive and the size of the windows partition requested are not in proportion. For example, If you want to make a windows partition of 32GB then ensure that you have atleast 50GB+ free space on the drive. You can temporarily move files to external disk and the copy them back.

Reaction score
Nputer is right, you need to use the Boot Camp Assistant (which does indeed run under OS X). Have you tried the basics, like making sure that all of your programs are shut down (besides BCA) and done a cold restart?

I'm having the same trouble and I'm still having the problem after I restarted twice :(

Reaction score
This problem occurs if the free space on your drive and the size of the windows partition requested are not in proportion. For example, If you want to make a windows partition of 32GB then ensure that you have atleast 50GB+ free space on the drive. You can temporarily move files to external disk and the copy them back.

I don't think it's the HD space problem because I have like 230gb free space and it's come up with exactly the same message!

Reaction score
I'm trying to partition my HD in order to dual boot. Boot camp assistant tells me "the disc cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved." It suggests using Disc Utility to format my disc as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. I verified my disc and there is nothing wrong with it (won't even let me click the repair disc button) and it says that it is already journaled.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ian

I know you've posted this a long time, but I just come across exactly the same problem. Have you found a good solution to this problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This has been discussed numerous times - mostly in the Windows forum. The error you're receiving is really saying that you don't have enough contiguous free space to create a BC partition.

Two ways to resolve it: First one is given in the replies above.

Second one is to purchase "iDefrag" from here.

Reaction score
This has been discussed numerous times - mostly in the Windows forum. The error you're receiving is really saying that you don't have enough contiguous free space to create a BC partition.

Two ways to resolve it: First one is given in the replies above.

Second one is to purchase "iDefrag" from here.

but i have like 200gb free space!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read my reply again and notice the word "contiguous".

The error you're receiving is really saying that you don't have enough contiguous free space to create a BC partition.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
oh sorry! didn't read properly! so what should i do to have enough contiguous space? thanks!

At this point, it doesn't really matter does it? Since you've hosed your system and can't even boot into OS X. I'd suggest dropping this thread and continue with the new problem you've got going in the other thread - located here.

Reaction score
At this point, it doesn't really matter does it? Since you've hosed your system and can't even boot into OS X. I'd suggest dropping this thread and continue with the new problem you've got going in the other thread - located here.

hahaha... thanks very much!!! I'll try to find solution for my new problem!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook/MacProG5
This Boot Camp Problem

Dear all,

Now I have found-out how to put a technical question on to ‘Mac Forums’. Us poms are not too bright? I can’t get Boot Camp Assistant.app, to assist. I have a Mac Pro 4,1 Intel Xeon Quad Core with OS 10.6.4 The computer keeps telling me my Boot ROM is not up-to date, I have 3.0.1 MP41.0081.B07 version. I’ve looked everywhere at Apple for a update but everytime I try to download I’m told by this wonderful computer that-“I don’t need this update for this computer’ Lots of people seem to have a problem almost the same as mine, but not quite.
Maybe my system is to new
John.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.