Migration Assistant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
I am planning to use 'Migration Assistant' when I get my new Mac. I have several older applications on this machine--what happens if they are not compatible? Or if I want to install a newer version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Since most apps are drag and drop, I'd do just that, rather than migrate them.

You can't get granular with the assistant, it's all or nothing.

Apps that have startup daemons or services might be the biggest issue. I would suggest reinstalling those. HP is big for installing listeners for the MFP printers.

Again,...installing a newer version is most likely a drag and drop.

OP
frazzm737
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
Please explain how I would drag and drop an application from one computer to the other. Sorry to be so dense, but this will be a new experience for me. Thanks for your reply!
Fran

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
During Migration Assistant, you are asked to connect your other Mac via firewire cable. You'll notice the other HD show up on your desktop.

Drag and drop is exactly what it sounds like. Practice a few times. Create a folder on the desktop, then create another. Click and hold on one folder, then drag it onto the other folder. You'll see a plus sign. That means let go of the button. You'll have put one folder inside of the other. Check it out.

Drag applications out of the Firewire drive on your desktop which is really your old Macs HD onto the new Macs Applications folder.

It's easier if you open two Finder windows so you can see what you are doing.

OP
frazzm737
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
Thanks--I have printed out your instructions. I'm sure it will all become clearer when I actually try the procedure. So then, the best procedure would seem to be to first transfer settings with 'Migration Assistant' and then use drag and drop method to transfer the applications that I want on the new machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can run it multiple times if you have to.

Just be sure you don't transfer users more than once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
You don't need to use Migration Assistant to do a drag and drop. Just simply connect the computers using the Firewire and startup the one you would like to take from in Target Disc Mode. The HD will show up on your other and there's no need for Migration Assistant.

However, if you're planning on moving everything from your old computer to your new one, I would use Migration Assistant. You get to select what gets brought over and it does everything else for you. If it happens that some of your apps don't work, simply download the latest version of them once you're set up on the new machine.

OP
frazzm737
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
But it is my understanding that using 'Migration Assistant' does not allow me to choose among the applications that I want to import. I assume that the incompatible ones could not be transferred and I have some that I do not want transferred. I guess I could just delete them later.

M

MacHeadCase

I will offer a different opinion here.

I see everywhere how Leopard is finicky about third-party software, how a lot of apps had or have to be updated to run under Leopard, etc. so blindly importing all the applications is most risky IMO.

So concerning Migration Assistant I would simply import user data, internet settings, and that's all. I would reinstall from scratch third-party apps one by one, after having made sure I am installing the latest versions (and checking out the Leopard compatibility status on the various software websites).

OP
frazzm737
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
Thanks, MHC! I think you suggest the best course for me to follow. I want to make the changeover as painless as possible.

M

MacHeadCase

Incompatibilities in Leopard can get to be pretty severe, forcing a complete Erase and Install in some cases so that's why I personally would not chance it.

No problem, glad I can hep, frazzm. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.