Connecting to my iMac via the Internet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, Intel 2.4 Core 2 duo, 3gb RAM
I believe I have a fixed IP address from my ISP. As such, can I access my iMac from the internet and if so, how do I go about it?

Cheers

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
For what purpose,....? Screen Sharing, File Sharing?

From what kind of computer, running what OS?

OP
higginsdj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX iMac at home that I want to access from Windows XP at work. Screen and file sharing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are quite a few steps.

We'll cover screen sharing for now.

If you have a home networking router you'll need to configure the router to forward ports from the internet to your Mac. See your router manufacturers website for instructions. While configuring the router be sure to note your WAN or Internet IP, you'll need it to connect from work.

Use port 5900 for VNC (screen sharing)

Assuming you have OS X 10.5 open System Preferences. Select Sharing. Check the Screen Sharing check box then click Computer Settings. Check the VNC Viewers,....Password check box and type in your password.

Now assuming you've port forwarded 5900 correctly through your router and completed the screen sharing setup and know your internet ip you just need to worry about work.

We're also going to assume that your work allows you to use port 5900 to get out to the internet, install software and waste company time. (joke)

Download a VNC viewer such as Real VNC, Tight VNC or Ultra VNC. They are all free. Keep in mind you only need the viewer.

Once downloaded, run it and enter your iMacs internet ip and the password you specified previously and Bob's your Uncle.

OP
higginsdj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmmm. I have not Router as such - just the ADSL modem attached to the network Hub. I'll have to look at it's options to see what I can set.

Cheers

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you share the connection, then the modem may be a combination router.

OP
higginsdj
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's just plugged into the Hub and provides simultaneous access to the Web for 5 connected PC's (and 1 iMac)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac aluminium. 500GB, 4GB, 2Ghz and whatever else is in there...
Hi guys. I tried the oll screen sharing malarky from work, and I get connected, then it throws me back off.

I can connect from my brother's mac at his house, and I can connect via our Mac server at work, but I can't connect from my PC at work.

I have tried different PC's, as well as trying Real VNC and Ultra VNC to view it and I get about a tenth of the black screen saver up in the window, then it just closes.

The VNC isn't just mac to mac is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Hey folks, we've written FAQs for this. You'll get some quick answers and walk-throughs in this sites FAQ section.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.