repair disk permissions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 GHz intel c2d, 2gb ram, xp and os x.6
I'm cleaning up my macbook, trying to trim down all the excess fat, and I want to repair disk permissions. My concern is that I have a 3 partitions, one for os x, one for archlinux, and a shared partition that is mounted as /home on arch. My users for both os x and arch have the same uid's and gid's so I have access to everything on my shared partition. Will running 'repair disk permissions' mess any of that up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Simple answer is NO.

__nix based OSs have a unique way of controlling access to files and folders. The false access rights can cause system instability. The "Repair permissions" basically looks at the original Receipts which contains those permission info and reinstate to the original condition. Therefore running this program shouldn't cause any problems with the other OSs installed on your Mac.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
does anyone else have any suggestions for slimming os x (tiger).

I wiped everything on my laptop and put my linux os on the first partition (after the efi) so it would run faster. it does, and os x which is now on my last partition runs perceptibly slower.

I used monolingual, which helped.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Slim down your apps! Use a tool like XSlimmer which will take out all PowerPC code, extra language files and whatnot. You can easily shave off at least 2-3GB by doing this. And it has worked for me without any problems. If an app is known to create problems it appears blacklisted. You can also use a backup feature in case you don't have the installation files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
You might want to look at Tidy Up!

I also suggest that if you have several Widgets that you don't use, then you don't need them. Discard all unused Widgets.

I haven't tried XSlimmer, I think I will. At one time I used a app called Delocalizer that did a great job removing all foreign languages from apps in the Mac, but the program was never updated for Intel Mac's running Tiger or Leopard.

I also recommend if you have app's in the Application Folder that you never utilize, trash them. For example, I've never been into Chess, and that game was always the first app into my trash since 10.2.0

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I actually just killed my dashboard altogether. :)

I'll check out Tidy Up!

monolingual gets rid of additional languages. It also can remove a lot of the architecture support you don't need (ie ppc, if you're running intel). That actually got rid of about 800mb, which I thought was rather impressive. One of my prefpanes quit working after I did that though. Said it needed a universal architecture binary (which I no longer had). I think that was ape. But then again, that's the sort of thing I don't want.

I read somewhere that this guy was suggesting downgrading to jaguar to speed up things a bit. I don't think I'm ready for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.