I'm a PC user - can't decide which mac I should buy

M57

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the situation:

I'm planning to buy a mac laptop because I dig it, but I really can't decide which one to buy (the Air is not an option).

I like to work with more screen estate, but I can't invest in a 17" laptop and eventually not like the mac, and lose a lot of money. And I don't to "try it out" with a 15" to eventually like it and replace it with a 17", which will cost me even more money. (and these things are so **** overpriced !!)

So, what do you guys recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
What do you want to use it for?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well, if you just want to try it out, you may want to find a used macbook or ibook (or even an imac just to get used to OS X for cheap) on ebay or craigslist. this way you don't spend too much before you're certain you want to make the switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I like to work with more screen estate, but I can't invest in a 17" laptop and eventually not like the mac, and lose a lot of money. And I don't to "try it out" with a 15" to eventually like it and replace it with a 17", which will cost me even more money.

The beauty of the Mac platform having switched to Intel is that if you don't like OS X for whatever reason, you can still use Windows on it. So go ahead and get yer 17" screen.

OP
M

M57

Reaction score
Well I'm going to be using it mainly for day-to-day use and professional web development.

Regarding using windows on them: When I use Windows with a mac machine, will it be 100% compatible with all the devices I plug into it? like a GPS modem for example?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Windows on a mac is the same as windows on any other computer. I have had no problem get any peripherals to run on windows.

PS I use windows in boot camp

Reaction score
If you run it through Bootcamp, then yes it will be. Under Bootcamp you're running Windows completely natively, as if it were originally a Windows machine. Running Windows through VMWare Fusion or Parallel (you can even use a Bootcamp partition if you have one already) will very often recognize basic devices like those, as well, and only have trouble being compatible with accelerated 3D graphics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Get the 17" man. If for some unholy reason you don't like OS X, Windows on a Mac is much much better than Windows on a PC. PC World said that the fastest Vista laptop was in fact a mac! Anyway, there is no reason you should resort to using Windows. Just state the software and apps that you plan on using and we'll see if there are better alternatives or other means to get them on the Mac. Just to be sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Bootcamp is just a tool for partitioning the hard drive and installing drivers in Windows for sound, graphics, remote control etc.

When you are running Windows you have a 100% genuine PC. Anything that works on another PC will work on a Mac.

Reaction score
Do you need help deciding what hardware to get for the applications you run? If so- state the apps and we would be glad to help!

Edit: If I insulted you I apologize, we're all just here to help.

OP
M

M57

Reaction score
Do you need help deciding what hardware to get for the applications you run? If so- state the apps and we would be glad to help!

Edit: If I insulting you I apologize, we're all just here to help.

That's fine, I appreciate your will to help. :)

I just have one more question regarding these: in case my mac book pro stops working (god forbid), will I be able to take out the HDD and put it in an external enclosure to extract the data?

I do this with the windows laptops since I don't really trust service centers with my personal files.

Reaction score
That's fine, I appreciate your will to help. :)

I just have one more question regarding these: in case my mac book pro stops working (god forbid), will I be able to take out the HDD and put it in an external enclosure to extract the data?

I do this with the windows laptops since I don't really trust service centers with my personal files.

You can also easily backup your entire hard drive with Leopard's Time Machine feature, if you have an external drive. The state of your Mac on any given day is completely accessible and safely tucked away in an external HD.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
in case my mac book pro stops working (god forbid), will I be able to take out the HDD and put it in an external enclosure to extract the data?

Yes, if the HD is not the part to fail (BTW, the HD is the most likely to fail catastrophically).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.