Glossy or Anti-glare Screen?

Reaction score
I'm getting a MBP soon and I've been hearing a lot of debate over the glossy screen compared to the anti-glare screen. My iMac has the anti-glare, but peple say the colours are better and the images are sharper on the glossy. However, i will be using it mainly in my dorm room and school classes and lounges, all with windows and overhead florescent lighting. Will these conditions be better suited for the anti-glare or will the glossy screen hold up ok?

P.S. I do a lot of picture editing, so I would like to have colours and sharpness at their best but I also don't want to have reflections and glares when I'm trying to edit.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
If you search you will find this discussed a million times.

I would go with the anti-glare or matte screen, I do not like the glossy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 1.8 Ghz, 64GB SSD, iMac 24"Core2Extreme, iPhone 8GB, iPod Classic 80GB
The anti glare would be best when used in light conditions but the glossy better when used in darker conditions. By your description, you should get the anti glare (There is nothing wrong with the colours on anti glare, the glossy is just slightly better.)

Reaction score
I have the glossy and love it. The colors are sharp, vibrant, and lively, and everything just looks stunning. Im very happy with it.

As for glare, Ive used it in a few different places, and have not found it to be a problem. Keep in mind, that even with a matte screen, direct lighting, especially sunlight, will make the screen hard to see.

If you do get the glossy, and find glare to be a problem, there are products available to deal with that.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/ef.php?category=mb

Reaction score
to my eyes, the advantage of having "brighter colors" is not really worth it considering the glare...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
y'all misusing the word 'glare'.

matte screens have glare when light is directed at them.
glossy screen have reflections, all the time.

go with matte!

Reaction score
y'all misusing the word 'glare'.

matte screens have glare when light is directed at them.
glossy screen have reflections, all the time.

go with matte!

Well, misuse of the word "glare" aside, Ive used my glossy MBP in all kinds of lighting situations, and I really think the glare/reflection issue is overstated, and yes, the colors that the glossy screen produce are worth it.

In any case, the OP should check out both at an Apple Store and see which he prefers.

Reaction score
My notebook isn't an Apple (it's an HP running Vista), but my experience there is that I did get the glossy screen and I regret it quite a bit. While it's certainly not unusable, it does reflect a little more light and that's a big pet peeve of mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
If you do photo editing, you do NOT want the glossy screen. My iMac came with the glossy screen, and I hooked up a separate Eizo monitor to it just so I can enjoy post-processing images.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses guys, all were helpful! I'm going to go to my local apple store and check them both out so I can see the difference in person.

Reaction score
Keep in mind that when your in the store, the glossy screen will show alot more reflections than you will probably see in the real world.

As for photoediting, many people say, and feel that the matte screen gives a "truer" representation of colors, but for what its worth, I have edited photos (both RAW and JPEG), on both my glossy MBP, and my matte screen dell inspirion 8600, (which has a higher resolution than the MBP does), and I could not tell any difference between the two machines.

Anywa, have fun....either matte or glossy, the MBP is a great computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
The matte screen looks amazing and it doesn't have any glare issues.
Thus, get the matte.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
Go with the matte option. The reflection off the glossy will drive you to distraction...and soon after, insanity. LOL.

I've gone matte from my first Powerbook and current Macbook Pro...

Reaction score
i use a macbook with the glossy screen and no problems a all. usually i am working in the pitch black of my basement or wherever. Even then i just make sure to keep a light colored background to minimize glare contrast. never had any problems. i like the colour better of the gloss anyways. it just seems sharper and more vivid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz MBP, iPhone 3GS, iPods and other nifty gadgets
I prefer matte as well, it matches my monitor. I think most vista laptops are coming with gloss screens these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display
i find that a glossy screen gives a better picture quality, but it depends if you use it in a lighted area or not because if you do than your probably better off to get a matte screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Keep in mind that when your in the store, the glossy screen will show alot more reflections than you will probably see in the real world.

Maybe. My office has windows. My apple store does not. Even with shutters closed... the glare is painful on my eyes.

Reaction score
I got glossy. I am a recent PC to mac converter, and I am used to a glossy screen. Matte wouldn't make a difference for me, but glossy looks nice and crisp.

Reaction score
I so wanna buy new iMac 24" and the only thing that keeps me not to do that is **** glossy screen, reflection of myself is really annoying.

Is there some solution...some matte film that i could stick to the screen? have anyone seen something like this?

Reaction score
Especially if you're doing photo editing, I'd go matte.
There's a firm rule in any graphics work that you should get a matte screen. It's easier on the eyes!
My school always keeps up with the newest iMacs, but they won't do the latest upgrade because they only come with the glass screens = BAD for graphics.
I very highly suggest you go with matte.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.