Mail - Read the same mail on 2 computers?

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I dont know if this is possible, but I'll ask anyhow!

I have 2 macs, one at home and 1 in my office (next door to home!). I wonder if it is possible to set up mail so that if I read mail on the home computer, will it still show as new mail on the office computer?

Basically will mail still go to the other computer even if I read it / recieve it first on another machine?

Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I'm not sure about staying unread, but using IMAP for mail will definitely get you reading mail on both machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
I'm not sure about staying unread, but using IMAP for mail will definitely get you reading mail on both machines.

^^ That's what I was thinking.^^

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
First, you need to know if your ISP will support IMAP. If they do, it's really very simple: Change your account settings in mail to match the requirements of your ISP.

But it's not REALLY as simple as that, as Mail won't let you change an account from POP3 to IMAP. Instead, open mail, go to Preferences, Accounts, and create a new email account. Set the account type to imap, and use the settings that have been provided by your ISP.

Before you try sending or receiving email, go into the settings for your existing POP account and delete the password, so that mail won't try to get the same messages from your server two different ways. That could really cause additional headaches for you later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Before you try sending or receiving email, go into the settings for your existing POP account and delete the password, so that mail won't try to get the same messages from your server two different ways. That could really cause additional headaches for you later.

Easier: just turn of the 'enable' checkbox.
attachment.php

Picture 1.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I have a pop account linked to webmail and keep my message on the server. I can then download the messages as new from both my desktop [windows] and my MBP. All I did in mail was uncheck the remove message from server in general properties. I then use thunderbird for my more junk infested mailbox. the alternate address that I use when dealing with online forums etc. That account I have set up to only delete once it's been downloaded by my desktop. That works well for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.