Sleep vs Shut down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Hi! I know everyone is seemingly putting their mac to sleep vs. shutting it down all together - being a PC user of X years I am so used to shutting down completely that I am still doing it. What's with the mac complusion to Sleep?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Why shut down? If you sleep it you can be working again almost instantly. If its shut down then has to go through the start up process. Shutting down a laptop just because you won't be using it for the next 5 minutes while you walk to the next class is just plan stupid. The minute amount of battery you will consume while its sleeping isn't going to make a dent in the overall battery life.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's not a Mac compulsion. Have only been on this side of the fence for a year myself. None of the old timers would recommend shutting down any computer. Has to do with the stress caused by expansion and contraction when powering on and off your system. During the 80's, most techies felt your rig would last longer and have fewer hardware issues by keeping it running all the time than powering it off and on. While probably not nearly the issue today that it was back then, very few from those days have changed to a habit of shutting down.

I am one of those. None of my rigs are ever "shut down" unless we're leaving the house for a few days. Have never practiced shutting down a system. My XP machines go for months without being shut down. Would guess that my wife's XP system hasn't even gone thru a reboot in over a year (she never does any updates, and it's been that long since I've touched it).

Most don't believe the parts we have today are as sensitive as they were. But still, why shut down and have to wait for the system to reboot? Yeah, for those greenies out there, you can save a few pennies. But don't think you'll find too many people (and probably no long time tech head) that would recommend you shut down if you're turning it on and off several times a day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
I turn my pc on when I get home and off when I go to sleep.
I've had this pc for 6 years now and I've never had any hardware issues.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I turn my pc on when I get home and off when I go to sleep.
I've had this pc for 6 years now and I've never had any hardware issues.

Even the old timers would say turning it on and off once a day is a fine practice.

OP
cheetahastra
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Well at the moment I normally switch my imac on when I get home from work, then when im going to bed I usually power it completely down. It's not like boot up takes long at all on mac osx. By the time i've put my bag and ipod down the thing is ready for me anyway.

OP
cheetahastra
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why shut down? If you sleep it you can be working again almost instantly. If its shut down then has to go through the start up process. Shutting down a laptop just because you won't be using it for the next 5 minutes while you walk to the next class is just plan stupid. The minute amount of battery you will consume while its sleeping isn't going to make a dent in the overall battery life.

Quite right, and I do that with my notebook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.