no rental love for 5G ipods?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
it appears that the movie I rented from itunes cant be transfered to my 5G ipod. That kinda sucks. Anyone know if there will be a software update for that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I thought I read somewhere that firmware updates were coming soon...

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
anyone else hear anything about a firmware update for the 5g ipods? it doesn't seem like it would be so difficult to do, and i dont see why apple would want to alienate a large part of their customer base from using rentals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Rentals may be viewed on the following devices:

* iPod touch
* iPod classic
* iPod nano (3rd generation)
* iPhone
* Apple TV
* A Mac or Windows PC with iTunes 7.6 or later

Note: Your device's software may need to be updated to work with movie rentals.

So far I can only watch on my Mac or iPhone, not my AppleTV yet. Apple says the firmware update should come later this month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
That's just a bad deal. Apple's usually not one to leave customers with older products out in the cold when new software/services come along. I mean, that is essentially leaving out a big chunk of iPod owners since these portables were just released last year. They're acting more like a typical big company every day.

Now, if you're brave, I've heard rumors that you can get the Classic firmware on your 5G iPod, but I can't confirm this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Yes, that is poor indeed. Sure, the classic and video have different firmwares, but Apple should've updated both to play rentals. How hard could that be? It's only 1 more device that can play video and one that many still own (including myself). Mine's just collecting dust these days, maybe I'll brave it out and try hacking the firmware. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.