feathered line using the pen tool

Reaction score
is it possible to create feathered lines, using the pen tool in Photoshop CS3?? i have tried but i cant figure any thing out yet. any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Draw a path using the pen tool (Path, and not Shape Layer). Then go to your Brush tool. Select a nice soft brush. Go back to the Pen tool, right click the Path, and hit "Stroke path". Then choose brush as the stroke and hit okay. It should just give a brush stroke throughout the path.

Hope that's what you wanted.

OP
G
Reaction score
i dont want the whole thing to be feathered, more less just a section of it.

say i wanted to do the horizon reflection. Normally id duplicate the paint layer, change it to white, then adjust/delete/add points, rasterize it then make a selection, feather it and delete the extra i dont want. does that make any sense?? but im looking to keep everything in a vectored format.

l_b7dcbc1851b4769f78c74ed8a12eb590.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
if you want it all in a vector format, use illustrator. The gradient mesh might be your best bet there. At the moment, that's the only way I can think of retaining the vector properties AND having highly editable feather effects.

If you have to use photoshop though, I'd blur with the blur tool (not filters) what you want feathered, rather than using feather - you can control where you want it that way, and avoid having to clean up unwanted feathering.

Still, I'd suggest going with illustrator or a similar vector program. It's far superior for vector effects, not to mention performance, file size etc. when it comes to illustrations like that. It also allows for easier control and editing, and is much better at managing large amounts of paths.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.