How do you organize your gmail account with IMAP?

Reaction score
I recently switched to Mac from Windows, and I'm also planning to switch to gmail and drop hotmail.

However, in hotmail I had everything organized in folders and had filters set up to automatically organize incoming mail into the proper folders. Even when I viewed my hotmail through outlook.

However after reading around the gmail website, it claims they use labels and not folders. But if i create a label it doesn't appear as a folder in the leopard Mail program.

So my question is, how should I go about organizing my gmail so when I view it on Leopards mail program, all incoming mail is sorted into folders to keep my mail organized like i did on hotmail?

Thank you in advance for any advice that may assist me with this.

Reaction score
I know what you're asking (I think). I had the same folder/organizational withdrawal when I switched from outlook to gmail and mac mail.

What I did, and I'm not certain this will be enough for you or not; is to simply create a bunch of smart mailboxes in mac mail...

OP
D
Reaction score
how will that affect my mail considering im using Imap?

See when i viewed hotmail in outlook, all my hotmail folders appeared there and all my mail was organized via hotmail before I even viewed it in outlook.

Considering gmail has no folders, i'm not sure how to organize my mail. If i decide to use the mail app to organize my mail... what impact will that have on my mail in gmail since i'm using Imap?

Sorry if what i said sounds confusing, but im confused as well as to how the mail app will handle folder organizing while using imap with gmail..lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.