Possible iMac newbie?

P

Paladine

Hi there, I a new to this site and forum, but hoped those here could shed some light for me.

Is anyone here a PC and a Mac user? :confused:

If so which do you prefer for you daily use? :confused:

Why am I asking? Well I have been planning to purchase a newer computer to replace my existing (respectable) PC which does pretty much everything I want it to. Just a little slower than I wouild like.

I had my heart initially set on a new hardcore PC system, with the potential to play todays leading edge games. But it got me thinking that I do not game much anymore, or at least not with the newest games. I still love a good strategy game or Diablo II run. But I do far more web surfing, listening to music, playing movies, and photo editing than I do searching for the hottest games to play.

So I started considering switching over to an iMac. Never heard of an iMac or any apple usre ever switching to a PC. But I have heard of a number of people switching from PC to make and loving it, and even wishing they had done it far sooner.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

So I would appreciate anyone giving me there opinion(s)!

Thanks in advance.

And maybe this will be my new forum grounds!

OP
A

Animatronica

I use both a PC and a Mac. The majority of the time I'm on the Mac. The only thing I have my PC for though is so that I can play that more recent games. Other then that I dont really use the PC for much of anything. I would suggest that you first go to an Apple Store/Retailer and try out a Mac for a couple hours just to see how you like them...Because you dont need to spend say 1500.00 on a computer only to find out you dont like it 2 hours or so after you open it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
After buying my Mac I used both for a while, but the more I learned how to do things in Mac OS X, the more I got appealed to the Mac.
Nowadays, at home, I only use the Mac. For gaming I have the Xbox, which is enough for me. At work, I still use and administer PCs, but I definitely prefer the "Mac way". But this is my personal preference...

As Animatronica said, go to an Apple store and play around a bit on a Mac...that's the best way to figure out if you like it or not.
There's nothing, in everyday use, that a Mac can't do, compared to a PC, and file exchanging between Mac and PC users (except programs) is not anymore an issue as it was some years ago.

OP
P

Paladine

Avalon said:
After buying my Mac I used both for a while, but the more I learned how to do things in Mac OS X, the more I got appealed to the Mac.
Nowadays, at home, I only use the Mac. For gaming I have the Xbox, which is enough for me. At work, I still use and administer PCs, but I definitely prefer the "Mac way". But this is my personal preference...

As Animatronica said, go to an Apple store and play around a bit on a Mac...that's the best way to figure out if you like it or not.
There's nothing, in everyday use, that a Mac can't do, compared to a PC, and file exchanging between Mac and PC users (except programs) is not anymore an issue as it was some years ago.

Thanks folks. I will do just as you said. Makes sense to test these things out before you buy!

Later

I shall return!

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

Yeah don't trust anybody's opinion, your point of view may be different, make SURE that you go try one, I think macs suck because there isn't a good solitare game :( (these forums are REALLY bad at expressing my sarcasm) ;)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

rman said:
I know you are joking, but I like this one: Solitaire Till Dawn.

Actually I hate solitare, so boring after a while. But i think that most people like the windoze version is because, we all know that the scrolling on a mac is very bad, it is the same way with simpl rendering. It just isn't pretty. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
PinkPhishDoors said:
Actually I hate solitare, so boring after a while. But i think that most people like the windoze version is because, we all know that the scrolling on a mac is very bad, it is the same way with simpl rendering. It just isn't pretty. :(

You really want us to believe that Windows is prettier?!? Sorry, Dude, but I still use a lot of Windows, and it's the ugliest interface I know...except maybe XP. But still...I never had a problem with rendering or program response in Mac OS X...problems I have all the time with EVERY Windows, no matter how powerful the PC it runs on is...

OP
M

Matt

I have both. I use my PC slighty more because I own more software for it and it has an LCD screen (I love bright lcd screens ;)) If I had more software (and experience) with my Mac, and it had a nice LCD screen, I would certainly use it as my main machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Paladine said:
Is anyone here a PC and a Mac user?
Yep! My history is, bought an iBook a loooong time ago (new G3 500) with OS9/X dual, but never really used it that much, so I sold it. At the time there wasn't Office X, applications just weren't there for me. It was more of a "fun" computer.

Last year I bought the latest revision iMac 17" 1.25 GHz with SuperDrive, and love it. I bought it primarily for being able to do simple, yet professional looking DVD's with iMovie/iDVD using my DV camcorder, but it's taken off to so much more levels of interaction with my iMac, that it's my primary computer. Invoicing, Email, Office apps, Music, (and now with GarageBand/GuitarRig I can record/mix my creative works with ease) it's been such a great computer. This past July I bought a PowerBook 1.33 GHz w/SD, now I can take my iMac work on the road as I did before between my PC laptop and my desktop PC.

If so which do you prefer for you daily use?

Now I prefer to use my iMac. I have a desktop replacement Dell Inspiron 8200 next to it on the desk, but it rarely gets used. I do work on my Dell PowerEdge server out in the shop, but that's for webhosting/email, and just sits there most of the time.

Why am I asking? Well I have been planning to purchase a newer computer to replace my existing (respectable) PC which does pretty much everything I want it to. Just a little slower than I wouild like.

Another reason I wanted to go Apple, was Apple makes the OS for the computers. No other computer manufacturer does this, except for IBM, which is by the wayside with OS/2.

Anyway, Microsoft hopes computer makers know what they're doing, and computer makers hope Microsoft knows what they're doing, and the result can be drivers and OS woes with lockups, incompatibilities, etc...

Now with my PC's I always had good fortune, but you can always seem to "see" the lag when working with them. How many times have you clicked "Start" and waited several seconds to appear? How many times have you "Ended task" on a program and it just locks up?

The Mac OS X is **** near bullet proof, and because it's made by Apple for Apple, it's fast, robust, and, well, awesome. :)

I had my heart initially set on a new hardcore PC system, with the potential to play todays leading edge games. But it got me thinking that I do not game much anymore, or at least not with the newest games.

I did this too, but opted for sticking with game systems (Xbox, PS2, GC, etc) instead of taking up HD space.

I still love a good strategy game or Diablo II run. But I do far more web surfing, listening to music, playing movies, and photo editing than I do searching for the hottest games to play.

You won't come close to exceeding the capabilities of a Mac system based on what you mentioned above. And now there are more games than ever for the Mac too. I am on a business trip, head home today, but the other day I bought Age of Empires II just to pass the time (never been a strategy game player) but it is a nice game. A co-worker put Unreal Tournament 2004 on his PB 15" 1 GHz and it runs great. Come to think of it, that's all I use my Dell Inspiron for now, is UT2k4... :)

So I started considering switching over to an iMac. Never heard of an iMac or any apple usre ever switching to a PC. But I have heard of a number of people switching from PC to make and loving it, and even wishing they had done it far sooner.

You're considering it at the right time, Mac's new lineup of computers, and the compatibility of networking between Mac/PC is awesome. I have a hybrid network of PC's/Mac's/Linux at home, and all of them can access eachother, file AND print sharing. (with print sharing though, you have to make sure there's a driver for each operating system you're using, but the Mac share's out my printers over CUPS and Windows Printer Sharing)

I don't think you'll be sorry with the switch. Go and test drive one at a store, you might like it. :)

OP
P

Paladine

Hmm, well I appreciate the responses. My close friend and Colleague is sold. He is going to buy a G4 PowerMac (1.2Ghz Dual) tomorow, but I am still not sold either way. I think I will wait and play around with his.

Is video capabilities of a video card as applicable in a Mac as they are in a pc?

OP
M

Matt

A few other things:

Everthing is simple, intergraded and tasks are quickly acessed. Don't buy a Mac if you like complex Operating Systems. This is why though Macs would be execellent for buisness and just to get work done.

OP
S

steviecam

I switched to the Mac after constantly being hammered with virus's and Trojans as I tried to work, I know the Mac still has the odd virus out there but the majority are not compatible!! The only time I use my PC now if I need it for say FTP from my Xbox to the PC (haven't figure how or if it can be done with the Mac yet) ;).

You found yourself creating DVD’s or rendering your pictures before divulging into the many different apps out there … the more you play the more you realise how fantastic the Mac actually is … COME ON!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.