iPod Touch Update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I understand they need to make back their money/efforts of making these four apps legally available to IPT. Why did they spend so much effort on these four apps??
I doubt they did. They probably just saw an opportunity to make money on the people whining about missing apps. I bet many of them will pay for the update, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
*Rant beginning*
I like probably most others am rather p*ssed to say the least. I dont have a problem with paying £12.99 (i live in the UK- so used to being jipped.)
If it allows apple to further the apps that could eventually find their way onto my beautiful touch then i'm all for it.
My problem lies in the fact that as a true fanboy (i'll admit it) i jumped on the bandwagon early and stumped up my £269 to buy this, and then have to pay a FURTHER £12.99 when someone can go and get one now with these apps for the same as i paid to start with!?

I mean come on Apple, who would seriously be making you more money!? early adopters who pay high premium prices? or latecomers after a "bargain"
Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!!

*Rant over*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
I doubt they did. They probably just saw an opportunity to make money on the people whining about missing apps. I bet many of them will pay for the update, too.

I agree, it cannot be a case of "accounting" as the price of the touches havent risen when bought new... EVEN THOUGH THEY ADD THESE NEW APPS!

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
1) Rereading this thread, I was reminded of the parable of the laborers in Matthew 20. Take a look.

2) I bought a Touch today from my apple reseller, and I thought some would be interested to know they took $20 off the price so I could upgrade apps "for free." The factory-upgraded iPods aren't shipping for a couple weeks I guess?

3) It really seems to bother some that the price didn't increase with add'l apps. Maybe the Touches dropped in price $20, so Apple added the apps to bring them back up to par? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well, I've thought about it a bit and read some posts. Some people see this as being charged for an "update" or "upgrade", which was my first instinct. But that's not the case. This isn't some firmware updates, these are additional applications. I also think the idea that just because it existed on a different product is flawed. When they calculated the cost of developing the iPhone and subsequent price, they included the development cost of those programs. That development cost was likely not included in the cost calculation of the Touch. So in the way, it makes more sense.

Then I thought about their computer sales. I bought an MBP with Tiger and got iLife '06. Not they're selling the computers with Leopard and iLife '08, but they're not charging more for it and nobody is complaining about having to pay for Leopard or iLife '08 if they didn't have it before. So when you think of it that way, is it really wrong for them to charge?

But I do think what they're charging about how they're bundling is wrong, just like I think the iLife bundle is wrong. I use iPhoto and iWeb, but I don't use iMovie or Garageband, so why do I need to buy them? Some people may want Mail, but not stocks and weather, so why should they have to buy them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
For even more generated sales Apple should have released just the Touch with only the music player... wait 1 month... release the video player for $5... wait another month... release the Calendar for $3... wait another month... Settings for $4... wait a month... YouTube $10... wait another month Safari $10... lol

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4
My problem with this development is two-fold:
1. Apple has built a reputation for giving free updates, not free OSs. I have no problem paying to get Leopard, don't get me wrong. However, if I now have to pay for this, I have to wonder if I will turn on my computer tomorrow and have to pay for the security update like McCafee.
2. The timing of this is impecable. I do not believe it is a coincidence that Apple decided to do this directly after the Christmas holidays, when they knew there would be lots of buyers. To release something like this, and then charge for it is dirty tactics. I did not have to pay to upgrade my calendar application because they knew the update should have been included to begin with. This is nothing other than Apple trying to make a cheap buck.

I have been thinking about getting an iPhone, too, but if this is how it is going to be in the future, I may reconsider.

Lastly, if these programs really took extra money to include, why did they not increase the price of the iPod? Apprently they did factor in these programs, just as they did with the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My problem with this development is two-fold:
1. Apple has built a reputation for giving free updates, not free OSs. I have no problem paying to get Leopard, don't get me wrong. However, if I now have to pay for this, I have to wonder if I will turn on my computer tomorrow and have to pay for the security update like McCafee.
2. The timing of this is impecable. I do not believe it is a coincidence that Apple decided to do this directly after the Christmas holidays, when they knew there would be lots of buyers. To release something like this, and then charge for it is dirty tactics. I did not have to pay to upgrade my calendar application because they knew the update should have been included to begin with. This is nothing other than Apple trying to make a cheap buck.

I have been thinking about getting an iPhone, too, but if this is how it is going to be in the future, I may reconsider.

Lastly, if these programs really took extra money to include, why did they not increase the price of the iPod? Apprently they did factor in these programs, just as they did with the iPhone.

1. have you complained about not getting iLife '08 for free since all new Macs come with it? Security updates are a necessity to keep your computer running as it should. Applications are not a necessity, so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

2. you may be right, but what is the goal of Apple? To make money. Apple is a business like any other. A business could make everyone happy by giving away their product, but they'll go out of business fast. When it comes down to it, it's all about how far you can go to get money from people without the perception of being unfair, in short, perception of value for your money. All people have to do is not buy the product. The problem here though, is perception. The two products are so similar that people are not seeing them as separate products. If this were something added to the iPod Classic, I bet there wouldn't be as much of an outcry.

Lastly, Apple isn't offering the Touch with the apps for free as many people think. All Touches being sold now that don't include these apps are being sold for $20 less. If I went to the Apple store and bought a Touch right now, it would be $279. (obviously not on the online store since it's not selling the Touch without the apps.) Basically, Apple lowered the price on current Touches, offered up the apps for $20, and bundled the apps on all new Touches for $20 more all at once. Now it's pretty clear that this is mostly thinly-veiled accounting trickery, but again, it's perception. If Apple lowered the price of Touch to $279 and included the optional $20 apps 2-3 months down the road, it would be the same thing, but without the negative perception.

I understand how you feel, I was totally against it too at first. But I've kind of seen the light of the situation.

Oh, and if you expect Apple to just give away newly-developed applications for the iPhone in the future, you probably do need to reconsider. Nobody profit-seeking developer is going to give away applications for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13'' 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 gig of ram, 6x Superdrive
WELL, Just to irritate...

you could just hack your iPod Touch.
All those apps for free, and quite a few others......
i'm happy with it!

Reaction score
"Lastly, Apple isn't offering the Touch with the apps for free as many people think. All Touches being sold now that don't include these apps are being sold for $20 less. If I went to the Apple store and bought a Touch right now, it would be $279. (obviously not on the online store since it's not selling the Touch without the apps.) Basically, Apple lowered the price on current Touches, offered up the apps for $20, and bundled the apps on all new Touches for $20 more all at once. Now it's pretty clear that this is mostly thinly-veiled accounting trickery, but again, it's perception. If Apple lowered the price of Touch to $279 and included the optional $20 apps 2-3 months down the road, it would be the same thing, but without the negative perception."

Not sure I follow your logic here. An 8gig IPT cost 299 without the apps before Xmas. Now they want $20 from me for the apps, bringing my total cost to $319 for an IPT with apps. A brand new touch with apps from the apple online store is $299. From a brick and mortar store without apps is $279 (discounted presumedly to allow the buyer to purchase the apps for $20 to get back to the original $299 with apps price). So no matter how you look at it I'm screwed to the tune of $20 comparing "apples to apples" (no pun intended).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure I follow your logic here. An 8gig IPT cost 299 without the apps before Xmas. Now they want $20 from me for the apps, bringing my total cost to $319 for an IPT with apps. A brand new touch with apps from the apple online store is $299. From a brick and mortar store without apps is $279 (discounted presumedly to allow the buyer to purchase the apps for $20 to get back to the original $299 with apps price). So no matter how you look at it I'm screwed to the tune of $20 comparing "apples to apples" (no pun intended).

All tech gets updated for either the existing price or sometimes lower price of the old tech. That's the way it works through the entire industry. Here's another way to view it. Some people bought a Mac a month before the release of Leopard or iLife '08, but most didn't freak out and expect Apple to give them that software for free just because all new macs from that point had that software included at the same price. Sure people were upset about it, but they didn't expect something for nothing. It was just bad timing. It's the same premise for this situation.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4
I can see you logic, and I agree with it (for the most part), particularly with Apple being a business. I am simply stating that I do not agree with the way they have gone about it this time. (not to mention I am still a little ticked at myself for getting an iBook a month before the MacBook came out!)

I suppose that my secondary point/question would be why Apple felt obliged to give a refund/credit to iPhone users, and how that is different from this situation?
Perhaps I am not informed very well on the latter situation.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G4
by the way, Apple does give out free applications to iPhone users. Hence why they didn't have to pay for the new upgrade. This is perhaps the biggest slap in the face, in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
What free apps were given to iPhone users? I must've missed out.

But really this is a drop in the bucket compared to the iPhone price cut fiasco. Specifically, 1/10th. ;)

Reaction score
All tech gets updated for either the existing price or sometimes lower price of the old tech. That's the way it works through the entire industry. Here's another way to view it. Some people bought a Mac a month before the release of Leopard or iLife '08, but most didn't freak out and expect Apple to give them that software for free just because all new macs from that point had that software included at the same price. Sure people were upset about it, but they didn't expect something for nothing. It was just bad timing. It's the same premise for this situation.

Except your logic was that Apple is not giving this update away for free, when in fact they are. The current iPod Touch is no different than the millions sold in the last 30 days, except that they include the new apps. The price is has not changed a penny -- so the apps are free.

I think it is also self-evident that the differences between Tiger and Leopard are not comparable to the addition of 5 relatively meaningless apps.

It the current Touch was a new model that also included new apps, I'd agree 100% with you (even if it only changes case colors :D ). The fact that Apple resellers will discount Touches without the apps by $20 is the proof that Apple is indeed giving the apps away to new Touch purchasers and charging existing users. If the Touch had been out a year, I would have no issue with Apple. But this is just stupid marketing.

Just for the record, after considering the situation I'm not getting the apps, not so much because of the $20, but because (a) the apps don't do anything for me I can't get a lot of other ways (not talking about JB'ing), and (b) I strongly disagree with the principle of Apple's move.

And that's $20 closer to a Macbook Air!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
I just upgraded to the basic 1.1.3 update and I must say I'm very disappointed. Nothing important has changed! They didn't even give us icon rearrangement or web clips! I can live without the apps, so I'm not paying 20 bucks, but what the heck why not give the interface updates for free? I'm thoroughly disappointed.

Reaction score
I got all the iPhone applications on my iTouch and its totally worth it. Pay the 20, and you'll be able to upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.