Problem with iPod, OS X

Reaction score
Hey there,

A friend of me has mac, the computer is about 4 or 5 years old i think. He bought an Ipod but he can't install it because the version of the Ipod is not supported yet. The errormessages tells him to do an upgrade mac OS X 10.4 . He went to the store, bought the installation packet. Its an install DVD, he has only a cd reader.
I told him maybe it was possible to install from a usbstick/disk. So I have this dvd from macOSX 10.4 and want to make a bootable usbstick with. For Linux or windows systems I can do that, but I have no clue how to do the trick for a mac. Is there anybody who can help me out?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well for starters, you'll need a DVD drive...

OP
A
Reaction score
ok, i understand that, but I can figure it out myself, but I need a link to some information, I understand unix comando's, so I think i can do it, i can't find anything about it... or is it simply not possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You'd still have to get a DVD drive to connect to the laptop in order to install to the USB stick so you can install from the USB stick to the laptop's internal drive. At least that's my understanding of what you want to do, which makes no sense at all. Why involve a USB stick to begin with?

OP
A
Reaction score
Ow off course. sorry, I wasn't clear. I have a windows/linux laptop with dvd drive. Its nog the computer I need to install :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ummm.... you want to use your Windows laptop to install OS X to a USB stick, or at least copy the DVD contents to it, then use the USB stick to install OS X to a Mac?

Unfortunately you are out of luck. OS X only installs and runs on Macs. His only recourse is to get an external DVD drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Unfortunately you are out of luck. OS X only installs and runs on Macs. His only recourse is to get an external DVD drive.
Correct, your only choice is to get a DVD drive. That or try to contact Apple and see if they can get you a CD version of the media. Your method would violate the EULA and wouldn't be able to be discussed here anyway.
A friend of me has mac, the computer is about 4 or 5 years old i think.
Every Mac from the last 4-5 years would have had at least a Combo Drive, with which a DVD can be read.
The machine would have to be much older than 5 years if it doesn't have a drive capable of reading DVD's... in which case, it might not even meet the minimum specs for Tiger anyway. What kind of Mac is it?

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for all the info. I thought it schould be possible to make an image from the dvd on my usb drive, if thats not possible it ends here...
thanks a lot

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.