G5 in a PC case! Mmmmm!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PMG5/2x1.8ghz/4gb BallistixTracer/400gbX2 SATAII Hitachi - 19&22"WS LCD's - 9600XT (1822) 4yrs old
I have been an avid Mac user for 13yrs and wouldn't swap to PC for NEFing! perhaps a better mac - durrr!

But I am getting tired of looking at my G5. Perhaps fitting the bits of my G5 into a Liann Li case or similar!

Do you think I'm MAAADDD!

ALSO:
Would an X800 256mb GDDR3 be worth the money (239GBP) in place of my 9600XT 128mb DDR?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
THis might just be possible, but what is it about the looks of your G5 that you don't like?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The problem you will have is keeping the unit cool. Remember the inside of the G5 cabinet was designed to keep all of the parts cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think it will be a huge amount of work, will probably not look as good, will destroy your resale value and might fry your internals as rman pointed out.

And whilst I can speak to the performance of that graphics card, no, I would not spend that much money in a 4yr old machine, as you won't be able to use it should you ever decide to upgrade to a newer machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory
The problem you will have is keeping the unit cool. Remember the inside of the G5 cabinet was designed to keep all of the parts cool.

The design of any decent case is not just to house the contents of the computer but to keep them cool, especially with todays top performance hardware out there requiring top notch cooling to run smoothly.

I wouldn't doubt at all that any case from Lian-Li, Thermaltake, and other enthusiast case makers would make the system run quite a bit cooler, not hotter. The standard PC world has much better, and many more options when it comes to keeping things cool thanks to the high end gamers and overclocker communities and their push for ever more performance requiring ever more cooling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The design of any decent case is not just to house the contents of the computer but to keep them cool, especially with todays top performance hardware out there requiring top notch cooling to run smoothly.

I wouldn't doubt at all that any case from Lian-Li, Thermaltake, and other enthusiast case makers would make the system run quite a bit cooler, not hotter. The standard PC world has much better, and many more options when it comes to keeping things cool thanks to the high end gamers and overclocker communities and their push for ever more performance requiring ever more cooling.
Cooler, maybe.

But how quiet are they? ;)

Point is, a huge deal was made about the G5's intelligent cooling system with 4 distinct thermal zones that was designed to keep the system cool AND (relatively) quiet.

I don't doubt that OEM PC makers are capable of doing the same, but when you shoehorn a finished system into a case not designed specifically for that system, the cooling system might work, but it'll most likely not be as efficient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory
Cooler, maybe.

Point is, a huge deal was made about the G5's intelligent cooling system with 4 distinct thermal zones that was designed to keep the system cool AND (relatively) quiet.

I don't doubt that OEM PC makers are capable of doing the same, but when you shoehorn a finished system into a case not designed specifically for that system, the cooling system might work, but it'll most likely not be as efficient.

No need to tell me about noisy, lol. I used to have a full size tower stacked with 6 120mm fans and a watercooled CPU and northbridge on the motherboard...of course, I overclocked the mess out of that system too, which was half the purpose for it (tinkering with hardware as much as gaming goodness)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Cooler, maybe.

I guess most of us have done it at one time or another, but I can confirm to anyone who hasn't, running a G5 without its covers (there is a specially shaped internal cover for cooling purposes, as well as the flat side panel), sounds like a 747 is trying to land in your office.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.2/120gb/2gb Santa Rosa - 20" Aluminum Apple Cinema Display
i think the powermac g5/Mac Pro is one of the nicest looking cases, and i seriosly don't understand why you would put a mac in a pc case?

Reaction score
you're wanting to take a mac and put it into a pc case

im wanting to take a hackintosh and put it in to a g5 case

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.