Need help putting this UK AOL broadband & Macintosh problem to rest

M

MacHooligan

Greetings all, first post here... I know this has been touched on in previous threads, but so far no concrete solution. I know someone out there has the answer...

I've finally junked my old Sony Viao & switched over to a new 15" G4 running OSX. VERY happy with my new G4 except for the old problem of AOL not supporting Mac here in the United Kingdom.

I had no problems with using AOL with my PC and would like to continue using the Broadband service with my Macintosh...I could switch to another UK based broadband provider, but the problem is I spend 6 months of the year working abroad, where I find AOL to be by far the best option for signing on whilst in foriegn countries (ever tried signing on through the Romanian telephone system via a freeserve account!?)

Anyway, I KNOW this is possible somehow...just need someone to guide me through the set-up procedure.

I have a AOL branded BT Voyager USB ADSL modem and have downloaded & installed the Macintosh driver from the British Telecom website.

Can anyone help me from here???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ok I'm guessing here, so bear with me...

Since you're using a USB-adsl modem, you need to go to either:
a) Internet connect
Where the usb modem might pop up. If it does, you should also be able to enter your account information there and log in.

b) System preferences -> network
If your usb modem is listed here, enter information as required.

Be warned: I don't have any experience with usb adsl modems, only with ethernet routers with internal modems.

Good luck though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
I have DSL at my home in CA, and I think it's possible to hook up a DSL modem to a Mac.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to try it because I have a desktop and I have to leave it here in NY when I go home. ::sniff, sniff::

I would suggest phoning AOL or looking on their website.

[Thinks about it a little more].

However, my former roomie has AOL; I'll go ask her if she has any ideas.
In the meantime, good luck! :)

OP
M

MacHooligan

Aptmunich said:
Ok I'm guessing here, so bear with me...

Since you're using a USB-adsl modem, you need to go to either:
a) Internet connect
Where the usb modem might pop up. If it does, you should also be able to enter your account information there and log in.

b) System preferences -> network
If your usb modem is listed here, enter information as required.

Be warned: I don't have any experience with usb adsl modems, only with ethernet routers with internal modems.

Good luck though!

OK, i've just hooked everything up and ran the BT Voyager modem status program. Everything seems fine and all necessary lights are on.

I need more info on configuring the System preferences-> network settings options. What should I enter on the PPP, TCP/IP, Proxies & modem tabs...also the PPPoe & IPv6 etc. Very confusing.
I've tried going into the AOL settings and changing from Airport to ADSL modem but still can't connect.

Any help appreciated.

OP
I

iSheep

The AOL software does the connection bit for you, as far as I'm aware.

As far as your TCP/IP stuff goes, leave it on DHCP all automatic - when it connects it will get all that information for you.

AOL technical support are used to this kind of thing - it's all they do all day - give them a buzz, it's freephone isn't it?

OP
M

MacHooligan

iSheep said:
AOL technical support are used to this kind of thing - it's all they do all day - give them a buzz, it's freephone isn't it?

That's a great idea...except the problem is AOL DON'T support Macintosh on broadband and will not discuss settings or anything else connected with my problem.

I'm posting here in the hope of knowledgeable help on getting round the configuration issues involved.

AOL won't talk to me on this at all. :mad:

OP
I

iSheep

Well it's simple. Leave AOL. They are overpriced and pants anyway. Use BT Broadband or Blueyonder or something - much better value.

OP
M

MacHooligan

iSheep said:
Well it's simple. Leave AOL. They are overpriced and pants anyway. Use BT Broadband or Blueyonder or something - much better value.

Well done iSheep...you are truly a macintosh genius!

Go and read my original post again. I'm keen to stay with AOL for the international dial-up options offered whilst abroad. That's the reason for all this.

Thank-you again for your informative input.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.