• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

For those in North America...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I don't think i will ever tip the UPS or Fed Ex guy. ;) :p

You might get fewer smashed packages?

At least I know that's how it was at the warehouse where I worked. The UPS/FedEX drivers got Holiday tips, and we got less damaged stuff back. Funny how those things work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I hate tipping rest room attendants. They creep me out. I really don't want a guy there offering me soap and a towel, it's kind of a personal thing and I haven't had any one help me in the bathroom since I was like real real real little.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
You might get fewer smashed packages?

At least I know that's how it was at the warehouse where I worked. The UPS/FedEX drivers got Holiday tips, and we got less damaged stuff back. Funny how those things work...

They never deliver anything to my house. I work until 5:30 and I always get the slip where I have to go pick it up myself or risk having the neighborhood hooligans steal my stuff. I'd tip 'em if they waited until I got home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i usually tip $2. it is rare that i find a barber that gives me a good haircut. 9 out of 10 times i question myself if i should have even tipped. i try to go to the same barber so that my hair gets cut the same. but i still look for a good barber if the usual one is not in. i know this sounds crazy, but i pay $12 when i could go to the base and pay $6 because i hate waiting around the barber shop on base. ok rambling over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
I've been going to the same guy for almost 10 years. It's a salon so it costs a bit ($29) and I usually tip $3 every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I hate tipping rest room attendants. They creep me out. I really don't want a guy there offering me soap and a towel, it's kind of a personal thing and I haven't had any one help me in the bathroom since I was like real real real little.

LOL! Same here. I'ma grown man... I can wash and wipe my own hands, tyvm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I used to get my hair cut at the navy exchange (for a very long time), but the couple of good barbers work odd hours, and the other ones are too inconsistent. I've sucked it up now and go to a real barber... hot lather & straight-razor around the ears and on the neck and it's great. A bit more expensive ($14 + $6 tip), but well worth it. Nice and relaxing, and I could get a full shave there if I didn't already have to shave every day (Navy).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15. 2.6GHz. 2GB. Airport Extreme Base n. iPod nano 8GB.
We also tip our........... baggage handlers.
Actually, you tip the Sky Caps. Baggage handlers are airline employee's who load / unload the Aircraft.

My wife has always commented, I over tip. I guess that's better than having her think I am a cheap ....... :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Actually, you tip the Sky Caps. Baggage handlers are airline employee's who load / unload the Aircraft.

heh, that reminds me of an experience at the airport. A skycap took my bags and I was getting into my carry -on for my wallet and having some trouble. He said, "yes sir, I'll be taking care of your bags." I continued digging for my wallet and a couple seconds later he said something like, "yep, I'm the person who makes sure you're bags get to where they need to be."

Finally I got my wallet and tipped him, but then I thought, was he nudging me for a tip or threatening to misplace my bags if I didn't??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
photo-1822.jpg
"Oh, I don't tip..."

Reaction score
I dont tip, but my friend cuts my hair so really the 10 bucks I pay her is like a tip... oh, and im so cool, my firendship is like a tip... :end of cockyness: lol

F

Fallooza

ive never been anywhere there was restroom attendant. i thought they wre just somethin you see on TV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
ive never been anywhere there was restroom attendant. i thought they wre just somethin you see on TV.

Certain clubs that want to seem upscale, fancy restaurants, airport restrooms....what? That was actually George Michaels and not a restroom attendant in the airport restroom?!?! :Oops: :Grimmace:

O:)

They're out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
heh, that reminds me of an experience at the airport. A skycap took my bags and I was getting into my carry -on for my wallet and having some trouble. He said, "yes sir, I'll be taking care of your bags." I continued digging for my wallet and a couple seconds later he said something like, "yep, I'm the person who makes sure you're bags get to where they need to be."

Finally I got my wallet and tipped him, but then I thought, was he nudging me for a tip or threatening to misplace my bags if I didn't??

Probably. I've worked a couple service industry jobs prior to my nice cushy government job. I can understand why people would not tip at bad service, and whole heartedly so, but one of the jobs I've worked was delivering pizzas. There were several houses we would deliver to that never tipped. Unless they were squatters living in $500,000+ houses, they were by all means not poor. I know every time I drove out to one of those houses I felt like doing something damaging to their property or pizza.

Never did though. I was just angry. There's also people who don't believe in tipping waiters and waitresses. Most everybody knows that they make less than minimum wage and they depend on their tips. If they don't make at least the equivalent of minimum wage per hour per the pay period worked, there's a law that says that the employer has to suppliment their income (usually $2.15/hour or so) to bring their wage up to the minimum. A lot of employers have policies where the employee has to pay this money back on the next check where they make enough to cover the minimum.

There's still people out there that go out to restaurants and won't tip a dime because they believe that they shouldn't have to, no matter how good of a service is provided. Usually the wait staff remembers people like this that repeatedly visit and insure they never get good service.

I know there's always certain circumstances where a person/family can't really afford to eat out and maybe want to treat a family member to something special and it's really hard to judge, but you just know when you have people visit an average dining establishment like Applebee's or Ruby Tuesdays at least once a week and never tip that they're not one of those poor people and just excercising their right to be a real rectum.

I always tip though. Usually more than 20%. I know a lot of people at the places I go to. They treat me well and are very friendly. I even tip my bartender friends who let me mostly drink for free. They think I'm wierd because they'll just not charge me for a $10 tab and I'll still tip that much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.