windows on mac help

Reaction score
hey everyone. for my college algebra class we have to use a compass lab that can only be run on internet explorer/windows. does anyone know what would be the best way to do this? i tried downloading internet explorer but i could only find the version 5 for macs and the math lab requires 6 or higher. any advice??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
You can run windows on BC or VMware Fusion or parallels. VMF or parallels will be a better option for you since you dont have to reboot your machine frequently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Depends on exactly how the program works.

You tray "IE Tab" add-on for firefox, this fools the site into thinking you are using IE via an agent switcher.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Buying Windows just so you can run IE6 is the worst possible reason.

Crossover is the same price as Fusion, $10 cheaper than Parallels, and can run IE6 well enough for your purposes (all from within OS X, no Windows needed). Download a 30-day trial here. If you decide to buy, they offer students a break on the price.

It might be possible to spoof IE with Firefox or Safari. You'll have to search for that.
MacFanBoy, The last I knew, Firefox for Mac didn't have the necessary add-on. "IE Tab" doesn't support Macs.
For Safari, it's something to do with the Debug function, and it was quite a hack, IMO.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok i installed crossover (the free trial) but it popped up with this screen where i have to drag the crossover icon to the application icon. i did that, but now what?

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Now you should be able to open Finder, and see Crossover in the Applications folder. If so, you have installed Crossover correctly.

EDIT: Start Crossover, then select Install Software... from the Configure menu. Select Internet Explorer 6 from the list of software packages and click Continue. Crossover will get installer information...then clicking Download and Install will do it for you.

Once Crossover has installed IE6, it (and any other apps you install with Crossover) will be in User/Applications/Crossover (where User is your name). Double-clicking it will open Crossover, which will open IE6, and then you can experience the internet Microsoft-style! Caution: this is bad! Use IE6 only for your class assignment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying Windows just so you can run IE6 is the worst possible reason.

It might be possible to spoof IE with Firefox or Safari. You'll have to search for that.
MacFanBoy, The last I knew, Firefox for Mac didn't have the necessary add-on. "IE Tab" doesn't support Macs.
For Safari, it's something to do with the Debug function, and it was quite a hack, IMO.

(1) Turn on User agent under the debug menu option in safari
Should be on in Safari 3 for Leopard if not download onxy and enable the debug menu under Parameters:Safari

(2) Try ies4osx at http://www.kronenberg.org/ies4osx/ (the 4 means for and not ie 4)

(3) Yes IE Tab is not available for MacOSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
click on safari
notice that the top menu now is safari...
last menu option on the right hand side = Debug
click on Debug menu option.
2nd choice down is User Agent.
If not then download "Onxy"
Install Onxy and enable the debug menu in safari under Parameters:Safari

OP
S
Reaction score
alright i got Onxy to work. But i couldn't get ies4osx. When i went to install it, it said "No suitable X11 found!" ?? X11 is not installed or up to date. Install X11 from your OSX installation DVD then run "Software Update" from the Apple menu.

can i download this X11 from somewhere? hellllllp.

ps. thank you for all your help so far!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have Onxy installed then you should be able to enable the debug menu in safari under Parameters:Safari
then click on safari
notice that the top menu now is safari...
last menu option on the right hand side = Debug
click on Debug menu option.
2nd choice down is User Agent.
Choose Windows MSIE 6.0

OP
S
Reaction score
ok in Onxy, i found the "enable debug menu in: safari, address book, or dvd player". i checked the box for safari. but it was under misc. in Onxy. I don't see Parameters anywhere.

Reaction score
If you need X11, it should be on the OS X CDs that came with your computer, under optional installations.

OP
S
Reaction score
yeah it says i already have it on this computer. any idea where the parameters thing is?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.