Please Help! Macbook won't boot up after attempted Leopard install (Wont boot DVD/HD)

Reaction score
Ok so I'll go through EXACTLY what has happened to my laptop in the past day.. please note that the laptop was NEVER moved from the desk while this has all happened. Also a couple other things you should know.. I had Applecare, but 6 months ago when i sent it in to replace the harddrive -- they said they found some water damage, and it would cost $700 to replace... so i just put in the harddrive myself for $50, and it has worked fine since... So I'm pretty sure I can't turn to applecare anymore...

Alright...

Yesterday
One of my memory sticks went bad on me... (i had 2- 1gig sticks.) I took the bad one out, and the computer seemed to run fine on the single stick of memory.

Last night
I started to install leopard as an update over 10.4, seemed to work fine, though it was slow -- and finally i got to the leopard installation complete thing (please reboot the computer)... so I did...

It starts loading up... shows the mac symbol with the loading circle thing... but wait, Oh, i was probally was supposed to take out the cd... So i turn off the macbook by holding down the power button... and I eject the cd, and then try to start it up...

Not loading...

So after some mulling i decide, alright -- i'll reinstall again...

I boot to the cd drive, choose my options, start the install, and go to sleep..

This Morning
I wake up.. the install hasn't moved at all... It's still at the same place where i left it..
so again I manually shut it off, and try and restart to boot from the CD again..

NO GO....

If I hold down C to boot from DVD
The computer attempts to read the disk.. CD drive seems to power down.. then try again.. Then it ejects the cd, and goes to the Apple logo with the spinning circle, but never loads. I've tried it with My old 10.4 disk, and the new leopard disk. Same result on both. neither disk seems scratched either.

If I just boot up regular
It goes to the apple logo with spinning circle.

SOOOO...

I tried resetting the PMU, and PRAM

Is it likely that it is my superdrive gone bad, at a horrible time? If so I guess i'll just buy one on eBay and replace it myself. Is there any way to test it?

Could there by another problem wrong with it?

Please help me troubleshoot this! I'd be very appreciative -- I'm a poor college Computer science student that needs his computer to work for his classes.

Thanks All!

Reaction score

You mean you reset the SMC right? By removing the battery and holding the power button for 5 seconds right?;D

OP
L
Reaction score

You mean you reset the SMC right? By removing the battery and holding the power button for 5 seconds right?;D

Umm.. i guess -- I held down Option-CMD-P and R on bootup..
and i also did what you said... neither seemed to help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.