strange temp readings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I have a 14" g4, everything runs properly as far as I can tell, but lately I have been getting some strange temp variations. Normally the ibook temp hovers in the 120 range. For the last few days for some reason it has been hovering around 167. Now this 167 reading was after it has been sitting idle for quiet a while. I went to force quit to see what was running and making it so hot, and nothing was running. There are absolutely no programs running as far as I can tell, I am using an icurve to keep the ibook off the desk, so the heat cad dissapate through the bottom. I restarted the ibook and left it for a bit and the temp was again in the 160's. Now here I am running Safari, Mail, Yahoo with Isight and all have been on for over an hour and the temp is reading 126.7. What could be causing these strange temp variations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
What programme are you using?

If your common sense tells you it's not hot, experience tells you it shouldn't be hot and by touching it you KNOW it's not that hot... maybe it's not actually that hot ;)

When in doubt, blame the readout!

The app might be buggy, or maybe it's just a glitch in the thermometre inside the 'book.

Don't let it worry you, deinstall temperature monitor and have a nice day

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
Well, Common sense did kick in. i touched it and the keypad was extremely hot. I mean hot enough that I was scared of my ibook frying. I shut it obviously. I am using the konfabulator temp reading and it seems pretty accurate. Of course shutting down is alwaus an option, but thats not the point. The point is I would like to know WHY I have these temp problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well if it is actually getting that hot, I'd give apple a call to be honest.

You say the ports can't be blocked, you're actually helping the cooling by using the icurve...

It might be a problem with the fan...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.