Album Art is wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Hi, I've noticed that on some of my songs when I play them on my iPhone, the album art is wrong. For example, when I play Elliott Smith, on certain songs, The Shins album artwork is displayed instead. I checked it in iTunes and the artwork is correct. Somehow it just gets messed up on my iPhone. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Wow, never heard of this problem before. Might want to take the songs off and reload them back on. Might even have to do a Factory Restore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Resync everything…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPhone & div.
I have the same problem I check all my song in iTunes and there fine but on my iPod they don't always match its really weird haven't be able to solve this problem yet.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I re synched everything and it's still doing it...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
have you looked in "edit settings" when you right click on the song and se if there are two album arts for the song.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep I checked it and there is only one album art and it's the correct one.

Reaction score
ya same problem as you, ive checked even if it has two artwork pictures, resynced, even restored and ive had this problem on two different iphone 3g's (not 3gs) and across firmware 2.0-3.0. this is getting kinda frustrating.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I still have the problem and I've restored multiple times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd delete the iTunes artwork cache.

Reaction score
same for me

Until about a day ago my iPhone displayed all the album artwork correctly, but now some are wrong and some are correct. I have done almost all of the suggested solutions and none have resolved the issue.

I don't feel I should have to factory reset my phone and restore to solve this issue; it should be fixed by Apple. This is clearly a bug as it shows up on numerous forums.

I guess we can't believe all the Apple hype about Apple OS's not having bugs and crashing.

Reaction score
Solutions for iPhone / iTunes artwork and coverflow issues

There appear to be four distinct issues:

1. Song/album info is wrong or inconsistant (bad data)
2. Apple software makes some incorrect assumptions about data and creates collisions (songs appear on wrong albums)
3. Apple software accesses and updates functionality like coverflow in multiple ways for the same function, depending on how the update/access is triggered. This is bad form always and leads to strange things happening such as wrong art for an album.
4. Apple bugs.

Solutions:
1. Carefully note the problems you are having then go into iTunes and select the songs involved one at a time. Right click and select get info. Check the info and artwork tabs carefully. Especially note that there may be multiple artwork images on the artwork tab. Also, especially look for songs on same album that have different spelling or capitalization for the same album name. This can happen easily if you purchased some content in, say, the US store and some in the Canadian store. Go figure. Correct any bad information, especially in the artist and album fields. These issues are NOT fixed by reloads or resyncs. GIGO.

2. If you have two albums such as Artist: FolkyGuy Album: Anthology and Artist: PunkyGuy Album: Anthology, then the songs for both albums will appear with each album in the coverflow view. Change the album names so they are distinct. eg: Change the FolkyGuy album name to "Anthology - FolkyGuy". Apple has other issues with data as well... be suspicious if two albums appear to be interacting and have common data. Again: reload/resync offers no relief. GIGO.

3. You can't do much about Apple's cruddy programming (IMHO they have some major issues... heresy I know). Solutions are like 2 above: look for data that may be tripping the bad update and yielding bizarre effects. These issues are usually fixed by a reload, and sometimes by a resync. However, that can be pretty time consuming, especially if you have 4000 songs on your iPhone and have selected "reduce to 128" to save space. Come back tomorrow thank you. These problems can sometimes be fixed by triggering specific sync routines. eg: For whatever reason, Van Morrison's "Still On Top" artwork was showing up for "Ghostbusters Soundtrack". This even though iTunes showed the correct artwork and I could find no common data. I tried deleting the Ghostbuster art, sync, insert art but still Van Morrison showed up for Ghostbusters. Weird. I deleted the "Album Artist" data for Ghostbusters, leaving it blank, and then synced. Van Morrison still there. Put "Various Artists" back in and resynced: Voila! Van is banished and Ghostbusters is back. Sigh. Again, go figure.

If doing something like that doesn't work then try modifying other data. ITunes and the iPhone seem to use different update paths/routines depending on which data is modified. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

4. Apple bugs. Sheesh... not much to do here but try 1,2,3 above and finally reload as a last resort.

Finally, if the above does not help then try waving a dead chicken in the air over your ipod/iphone while burning incense and chanting in a dead language. This usually drives out the demon that is causing the problem. Equally effective in either Full or New moon phases. Doesn't work during a Gibbous moon. O:)

Hope this helps :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
did the same thing on my 2g iPod Touch when I updated to iOS4.

Reaction score
I had this problem as well. No matter what I did, the album art was correct on iTunes, but wrong on my iPhone 4. Sometimes, the artwork was actually a "mash" together of two incorrect artworks for other songs... the top of the Beastie Boys and the bottom of The Cult, for a song by Usher.

Delete and recyncing the entire iTunes library to my iPhone did nothing.

However, deleting the artwork in iTunes and then re-downloading it DID fix the issue. I had to do it for each song that was wrong.

I assume the internal ID's got crossed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
I have had this issue before as well
But only when I have my entire music library on my phone
About 11GB

I would wipe the music clean then do a sync and after a few days most of the artwork would be off again.

Now I just sync play lists

Reaction score
Digging up this post from the grave because I found a solution! It is an ongoing issue with the way artwork is assigned to music something with a messed up database on your iphone. This takes some work but it has solved my issues and all my artowrk has been correct for the past several weeks. iPhone Album Artwork Woes | Doctor Chewy
Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.