• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Pirates of Silicon Valley

Reaction score
I've been trying to find this, but i cant seem to aquire it anywhere! I've never seen it, but i'm interested. Is it any good? Any idea where i can get it?

Thanks in advanced,

GF

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Edit: I think this means I need a faster computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
The guy that played Bill Gates was super creepy. It was a nice touch. Jobs was made to look like naive fool. Was he?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The guy that played Bill Gates was super creepy. It was a nice touch. Jobs was made to look like naive fool. Was he?

No he was not quite that Naive but did at one point trust Gates a bit much.

Steve Wozinac (Jobs partner and designer of the Apple 1 and 2) said that Pirates of Silicon Valley was amazingly accurate to what really went down. I like the movie a lot but then I am into computer movies like that anyway. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I also liked this movie - I thought it was great.

I did think before this thread that it was just a made for TV movie with no DVD release. Good to know it is out there to buy - if I had a region 1 or multi region DVD player (which I don't). :)

Still as much as I like it, it's not really the sort of film I want to watch every month or anything like that so like the last time I needed a pirates of silicon valley 'fix' I'll be back to youtube as the entire movie was on there in 2 parts a couple of months back :p (until a region 2 DVD comes out...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.

Who doesn't love Anthony Michael Hall? The Breakfast Club anyone?

It was actually funny that I came across a thread about the movie because I was thinking about it a few days ago. I watched it in a media studies class with an obsessive Mac teacher (I thought he was crazy that the time, it was in my pre-mac days). I think it would be great to watch it again and see how much has changed for me opinion-wise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I never liked the ending. For those who saw the actual Macworld footage, their implication that MS had purchased Apple was completely incorrect. Jobs did not look like that and MS purchased nothing but an end to patent suits that they would have lost anyhow. In the end, they sold the stock after the 5 years was up and have abandoned IE for the Mac. I'll give it a B+ for accuracy at best.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I never liked the ending. For those who saw the actual Macworld footage, their implication that MS had purchased Apple was completely incorrect. Jobs did not look like that and MS purchased nothing but an end to patent suits that they would have lost anyhow. In the end, they sold the stock after the 5 years was up and have abandoned IE for the Mac. I'll give it a B+ for accuracy at best.

The basics are pretty accurate but there are things here and there like you pointed out that are wrong. It's not bad at all for a hollywood production and I still love the movie. Yeah a lot of people felt that Microsoft bought controlling interest in Apple which is just wrong. MS also promised to provide Office for 5 years I believe which was a good thing.

And yes, I agree, the ending was not good!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Watching it right now. That movie is one of my favorites of all time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.