iMac screen issues

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at purchasing a new iMac. Most likely the 20 inch 2.4ghz model. I'm a bit paranoid about making my purchase after reading so many threads about screen issues (gradient problems mainly) from various forums including Apple's Discussions forum. I'm definately going to wait until after the 15th, just in case these issues do get addressed...however

I'd very much appreciate hearing whether or not you have any issues with your iMac screen. Any advice or input greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
I have a 20" iMac and my screen is absolutely gorgeous.
I actually prefer to watch movies and some tv shows on this rather than my tv.

However, the 15th is in a day, so yeah I would wait to see if it is addressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
My 20'' iMac screen works just fine. It's awesome to watch movies and slideshows on. Plus, everyone always drools over it :p

OP
LadyInRed
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input you guys. So happy to hear there are some good units out there. I've considered the 24 inch as well, but I think its a bit too large for my desk.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I've owned my iMac G5 beyond the AppleCare warranty. And I have not had any issues with the screen thus far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
those screens are very glossy. Make sure you take a good look at them in the apple store.

My friend has one. It's a wonderful machine. I just hate the screen, or else I would have bought one myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Thanks so much for the input you guys. So happy to hear there are some good units out there. I've considered the 24 inch as well, but I think its a bit too large for my desk.

Get the 24". I got the 20" because I thought the 24" would be to big for my desk, but now I wish I got the bigger one. Same with my dad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I would second getting the 24". Today's norm in screen size seems to be at 19", which means in a few years time (if not sooner), you'll wish you had gotten the larger screen.

As far as the reflections, it can be a serious problem with either model, so you should see one in person, and try to figure out whether the intended location for placing the iMac is a good one. I have a room lamp that, when turned on, causing severe glare on the screen, so I have to always turn it off when I am using the iMac. Thus far, it's been a minor bother for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I have the aluminum 20". It stinks. If you have to do any image processing, you'll feel the same way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 Inch
I purchased the 20" and returned it two days latter for the 24". The screen is really bad at ANY angle and the color changer from top to bottom was to much for me. I guess it would depend on what you intend to use it for.
Good luck.

This is my first Mac after MANY years of windows use. I was thinking of installing windows on the machine. Not so sure now. Still trying to replace a few programs.

OP
LadyInRed
Reaction score
Wow thanks so much guys. The 24 is too large for my desk as is... I guess I could take the shelf off and make more room for it if necessary. :D

My uses are mainly internet, email, Photoshop, Painter IX, ripping DVD's for Apple TV, and Bootcamp/XP for my games. I only work in Photoshop and Painter as a hobby, not professionally.

I will consider the 24 as you guys have suggested... thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iMac is a consumer product. If you're a 'prosumer' or professional, you'll appreciate a better display. So either spec out a mac pro, or a mini, and add your own screen.

And I hope that 10.5.2 fixes the color banding on the iMac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
The iMac is a consumer product. If you're a 'prosumer' or professional, you'll appreciate a better display. So either spec out a mac pro, or a mini, and add your own screen.

The OP may not have sufficient desk space to do this, but I connected my 20" Eizo FlexScan to the 24" iMac as an extended monitor, and that is where I do all of my critical imaging work. For everything else, the iMac screen has been a pleasure to use.

Reaction score
I have a 24" iMac 2.8hz 4 gig. The machine is fantastic except for the screen. The left side of the screen is about 5-10 times brighter than the right side. As far as I understand most iMac's have this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OP may not have sufficient desk space to do this, but I connected my 20" Eizo FlexScan to the 24" iMac as an extended monitor, and that is where I do all of my critical imaging work. For everything else, the iMac screen has been a pleasure to use.

Curious... does the external display have bad banding issues with subtle gradients? In Millions of colors of course.

OP
LadyInRed
Reaction score
Update: I ordered a 2.8 24" iMac tonight. Order hasn't gone through totally, due to a CC error, but I will get this straightened out when I can phone them. Thanks for all the help, input, and encouragement everyone. Will let you all know how it turns out once I get my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 Inch
I have that one and think you will be very happy.

GOOD Luck

Reaction score
Got my first 20'' imac about a month ago. From straight on the screen looks gorgeous.. displays bright, vivid colors... altho I noticed if you look at it from either the right of left side a white background will turn a faint amber/yellow color along the edge and will continue the farther the angle gets from straight on..

I dont consider it anything major being my first mac.. got it to start doing design stuff on.. if this lasts me a couple years - Great! Ill get a pro once I get a decent job when schools over..

Question tho, can or will an update fix these color issues in the future?

Reaction score
Here is a vid I found that explains my issue.. Again, I dont have all these problems, but the color fade from the side about :20 secs into the vid.. is this common - how the screen should be.. or does anyone else have this problem??

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OoWtTozqFKU

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 Inch
That was the problem I had with the 20" I returned. I have no such problem with the 24"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.