so once u have parallels or bootcamp, how do u install xp?

Reaction score
is there a guide included with the programs or online that will make sure I do it right.

also, i was wondering, is it possible to keep parallels (if i go that route) always up in one of the spaces?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
I believe, though I have not used it since the beta, that Boot Camp actually FORCES you to print out a guide to even continue installation. Parallels also comes with a guide if I remember correctly.

Personally thought I think VMWare Fusion is the best program for this purpose, check it out here.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
is there a guide included with the programs or online that will make sure I do it right.

Parallels pretty much automates the process. There's really not a whole lot to do, but yes, there is documentation.

also, i was wondering, is it possible to keep parallels (if i go that route) always up in one of the spaces?

Yes.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i heard that it was the best if u were using windows vista only?

Parallels and Fusion work in much the same way (running Windows in a "Virtual Machine"). Boot Camp actually installs Windows directly on your Mac, giving you the option to boot into either OS. The difference is that with Fusion or Parallels, you can run both Windows and Mac OS at the same time. Although Parallels and Fusion both have limited 3D support, you can play a number of (mostly older) games. Anything requiring Direct 9.0 or higher won't run, including Vista's Aero interface. If you need to play games or want to have Vista's Aero interface, Boot Camp is your only choice.

As far as which one's better - that's pretty subjective. They're very, very similar. IMO, Parallels is a bit more mature at this point because it's been in production for quite some time. Fusion is a relative new-comer, but VMWare (the company that produces Fusion) is a pioneer in the VM industry. So, it's really hard to recommend one over the other.

OP
T
Reaction score
also the other question i had, in effort to not make another thread: how long can the mbp last battery wise while suspended?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also the other question i had, in effort to not make another thread: how long can the mbp last battery wise while suspended?

I have never tested it, nor have I seen anyone post a report - with that said, I have heard of people leaving their MacBooks in sleep mode for weeks. Since it only needs enough power to keep the contents of memory live, it should be quite a long time.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks for all your help.

I only need windows to run online poker, so parallels will do just fine. if i want to be gaming, ill just use the desktop i built last summer :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for all your help.

I only need windows to run online poker, so parallels will do just fine. if i want to be gaming, ill just use the desktop i built last summer :)

Which site is it? In my experience, most sites run under Java - which should work fine on MacOS X.

OP
T
Reaction score
Absolute poker

they have an in browser version, but im a tournament player and that insite version only works for cash games.

actually i just checked it does allow tournament play but i just dont trust a web based poker software with thousands of dollars lol

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolute poker

they have an in browser version, but im a tournament player and that insite version only works for cash games.

actually i just checked it does allow tournament play but i just dont trust a web based poker software with thousands of dollars lol

Hmmm... well, either way, your transactions are going over the Internet. Not sure what the difference is.

OP
T
Reaction score
the stability of the software.. the web based browser is far more prone to crashing.

its not funny at all when u got $600 out there

OP
T
Reaction score
i think im gonna buy my mbp after the keynote with or without an upgrade to the hardware.

i think whats out now is good enough to last me 4 yrs of medical school

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Parallels and Fusion work in much the same way (running Windows in a "Virtual Machine"). Boot Camp actually installs Windows directly on your Mac, giving you the option to boot into either OS. The difference is that with Fusion or Parallels, you can run both Windows and Mac OS at the same time. Although Parallels and Fusion both have limited 3D support, you can play a number of (mostly older) games. Anything requiring Direct 9.0 or higher won't run, including Vista's Aero interface. If you need to play games or want to have Vista's Aero interface, Boot Camp is your only choice.

As far as which one's better - that's pretty subjective. They're very, very similar. IMO, Parallels is a bit more mature at this point because it's been in production for quite some time. Fusion is a relative new-comer, but VMWare (the company that produces Fusion) is a pioneer in the VM industry. So, it's really hard to recommend one over the other.

This is incorrect. Fusion supports DirectX 9. Parallels doesn't however. Vista's Areo Interface will also work in Fusion. Fusion is newer then Parallels by a small amount but as stated VMWare is much much older then PParallels and has been in the VM industry longer then anyone.

OP
T
Reaction score
This is incorrect. Fusion supports DirectX 9. Parallels doesn't however. Vista's Areo Interface will also work in Fusion. Fusion is newer then Parallels by a small amount but as stated VMWare is much much older then PParallels and has been in the VM industry longer then anyone.

so you would argue it the better choice then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
I personally prefer Fusion to Parallels yes. I also find that it's Unity mode works better then the Parallels equivilent.

LOL a mod decides to move your thread and where do they move it? The wrong forum. This should be in OS X - Applications and Games not Windows Linux and other OS. It is a discussion of the differences between OS X parallels and OS X VMWare Fusion not a discussion about Windows.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

It looks like both products are changing rapidly. Just a few months ago, I read that neither supported DX9 - but it looks like VMWare now lists DX9 support as a feature (tagged experimental). I'm sure Parallels will do the same.

As I said, both products are different means to the same end. While I haven't seen a head to head between the two in their current form, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.