My Dilemma

Reaction score
I got a MacBook Pro as a gift for Christmas. It is my only computer and something bad happened a few days after I got it. I was in my room changing from chair to bed. I was holding the computer with one hand and when I leaned over to lie on my bead, my computer slipped and fell like 13-15". I didn't know it at the time, but eventually I say a little bend on the bottom pan near the superdrive. Everything works fine so far. My parents purchased the extended protection plan. I called the apple store and they said that it might run me around 675-700 to fix my computer. I called a store locally to me, and they said they could replace the bottom pan(parts/labor) for $300. I was curious if that would cancel out the protection plan. Another thing is, I have noticed that the fans never seem to go above 2000 rpm(according to iStat widget). It's has gone up to 71 deg C, and the fans never went above 2000rpms. I know its not the program to monitor hardware, but I was just curious. What should I do in this situation; pay a lot of money for the Apple store to fix the computer, or have a little store repair my computer. This is strictly the bottom pan replacement, and a difference of 300+ dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I would just leave it. $300 dollars would not be worth it. And if you were to get it fixed by apple, (store or send it in) that will not void you warranty/protection plan.

OP
M
Reaction score
The thing I am afraid of, is something breaking down the line. It may be caused by the drop. In which case I wouldn't be able to get the computer fixed. The protection plan doesn't apply to incidental damage. What I am thinking is just getting the computer fixed by the local store because it is cheap, and I may go there instead of the Apple store the for the remainder of my MBP life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Another thing is, I have noticed that the fans never seem to go above 2000 rpm(according to iStat widget). It's has gone up to 71 deg C, and the fans never went above 2000rpms. I know its not the program to monitor hardware, but I was just curious.

My fans are the same but i've not had a problem yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
My fans don't spin above 2000 rpm until 75 C

I manually override that when the temp gets above 60 tho....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.